Is hip pain menopause or somethign more sinister?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, my concern is around painful hips.  I am 50 and have had sciatica years ago and so prone to lower back aches and pains.  However, I have really bad pains in the hip and some in my knees.  My legs feel really tender. The pain in hip can sometimes feel like a burning sensation.  i didn't realise could be menopause related untl finding this forum.  I have been diagnosed with a mass on my left ovary which they THINK is a cyst, awaitig MRI scan but thanks to Dr Google, I have convinced myself the hip pain is due to cancer all over me!  Also sometiems my tummy feels tender, and I often feel like I am due on a period, even though not had one for 6 months - again, every symptom know I think the worst and can't get things out of my head.  Does this sound menopause related?

One thing I have found helped by hot flushes is 300g star flower oil daily - however, bottle only recommends 100g - so I am self medicating a bit but having had a dozen flushes a day and night sweats - they have totally gone. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kellers..

bless you hun, I cant answer your questions as not a Doctor, but.... I can say I also had big Cysts on ovaries when I first started in Peri, I had untrasounds as hadlower abdominal   pains and back pains, ( i do get back pain alot as have an extra fused disk and vertbrea in spine ...so have a longer tail bone😦) 

basicially mine were Follicular Cysts which were normal but which just grew due to hormone imbalance, and as I was not having regular periods they did not diperse for a long time, apparently a period helped them go, ( hard to explain )  I had two or three at different times, and grew like size of small oranges, but luckily did go eventually..  I have had a long old peri and in ninth year and will be aged 50 this month.  you didnt say how long you have been in Peri, 

I too as many other ladies on here have had the back pain and general hip and leg stiffness infact it affects everything... but mine is alot better now..thanks to numerous remedies we try out.. B6 etc..

I can also say although periods dont come, ( my last one was 10 months ago) you do get symptoms, tender tummy etc but no period, well I do anyway... I also find that now I have had the 10 months without a period my day time hot flushes have returned, but I have just clicked that I did stop my magnesium supplement and it seemed to be after stopping that that my hot flushes returned.. i took a calcium and magnesium mix supplement, then changed to calcium and D3 mix ( Natecal)  so the magnesium which helps flushes was no longer in my daily supplements so I think this may be needed again.

good luck hun, Jay xx

• Posted

Hy Jayne, thanks.  Not sure if in peri or in menopause to be honest.  last year I had periods every other month, but think I had one in Jan this eyar and that's it.  I have been having very bad hot flushes and started on the night sweats in April.  However, for me the star flower oil seemed to sort that out.  I do have plenty of calcium in my diet but will look at calcium and magnesium mix too.  I do get myself into a state but if you look on other forums they can be quite scary, and I think, I've got that, I've got that.  Maybe a should stay offline!

• Posted

Kellers...

peri menopause is the time before menopause as you probabley know..

but full menopause is when  no periods for One year as a guide.

even then one can sneak back in and throw it all over the place again..

try some B6 100mg a day, changed my life ... a must for peri and menopuase..... good luck, try not to worry hun 😕

Jay xx

• Edited

Hi there,

Sciatica is typical of the menopause( I've had it since January and it's only just gone)  but perhaps more tellingly so is your anxiety. Last year I got myself into a state thinking I was dying because of all the pains I was suffering, and I'm still here! Try the anti inflammatory diet it will help with your sciatica (and general pain) and Omega 3 supplements. 

PS I also recently changed my mattress for an extra firm one and it made a HUGE  difference. 

try not to worry! 

• Posted

Thanks Kerry, will defo be looking into supplements and will look up the anti inflamatory diet, that's a new one for me!  Glad you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi Kellers, I wouldn't advise you to not follow up with the pain issue. However, you will still get period symptoms. I haven't had a period for 15 months and I still have faint PMS.

I did notice about 8 months ago that my knees were sore and my quad muscles seemed very weak. I was afraid to take two steps at once. Even standing up from the floor seemed like I needed help. I started heavy muscle workouts again and my legs are back to normal. Yay. Also had the feeling of having a sore tummy thing. It's gone... Hang in there and see the Doc just to be sure... but, I'm finding that most things are peri-menopause or just menopause related. All the best!  

• Posted

Thanks for your kind comments Eva.  I have my scan first thing Monday so all will be revealed then.  Will let you know. x
  • Edited

Hello Kellers! I also had the problem of inflammation around my right hip and just like you it was going down to my knees, I found it really difficult to explain to the doctor, almost as if I wasnt making sense, it even woke me up in the night and thanks to google I too was convinced I had something serious!!! However, I tried half a dozen sessions of acupuncture which helped and gradually the pain just wore off, I now do yoga which helps everso much, really simple breathing exercises that calm me down during hot flushes, actually my yoga teacher has helped me much more than the gynaecologist!!!! Could be cos shes a woman! Dont despair as I'm sure youll find this pain will ease up too!! Much love xx
    • Edited

Amanda, thanks, I have been thinking abouty yoga/meditation etc so will probably give it a try.  I have an mri scan now first thing Monday so no doubt I will no more next week.  thanks for you kind words.x
  • Edited

Good to hear about hot flushes :-) I have hip bone pain it comes and goes.
  • Edited

Hello Kellers,I could answer the pain in the hip and knee,because I am being treat for it right now,it's called a bursa,we have fluid in between our skin and bone to stop it rubbing,it may of become infected......I don't know if it's connected with the menopause though,please get it checked to put your mind at rest.

good luck.

• Edited

I have heard of that Lozza, so could be.  I have a scan first thing Monday to look at this 'mass' on my ovary more closely. I am praying it is just a cyst and all other symptoms non related to it.  Will advise next week when I get the results x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.