Is HS fatal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have someone in my life who deals with this horrible condition. I can tell it is terribly painful. There is no doubt about that! But they also report that this auto immune condition is also fatal. That eventually his system will fill up with uncontrolled, untreatable pus and infect his entire body and it will eventually kill him. Is this true or is it depression, fear and utter pain fighting against him? Let me be very clear when I say " I am a huge supporter of him and all of you!" I am not being nasty or judgmental! I am just wanting to educate myself on this condition so i may be more understanding and supportive!" Thank you and best wishes of complete healing to all of you brave fighters!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I am glad this person has you as a support. While this disease is often diagnosed as an autoimmune. I have not heard of it being fatal per se. However my doctor has made it very clear the the infection can cause complications. This is why its important to watch for red streaks, fever and headache. Is it possible for you to go to an appt as well? It sounds like this person is experiencing some hopelessness. Maybe you can compile a list of questions together for the dermatologist. This way the person still feels in control.

• Posted

Hi Tammy!

Thanks for coming to this discussion boards to educate yourself for your friend. While HS is technically incurable (though many find treatments that put their symptoms in remission) the disease is not, in itself, fatal by any means. HS is usually only found in places that hair grows and/or where skin touches skin, such as groin, armpits, etc. Though I’m not a doctor, I cannot imagine that his entire body will be taken over by HS. If a flare up is completely neglected and a deeper infection arises it could be dangerous, but it sounds like your friends’ most threatening issue is his mental state. HS takes a huge toll on one’s mental health, and staying strong is very difficult. There are opportunities to improve his condition through medical treatment such as Humira, diet change, co2 laser surgery, etc. I got my surgery in October and haven’t had a flare since. Seeing a dermatologist and discussing treatment options sounds like the next step your friend needs to take. I’d also recommend he comes here and joins this forum!! It’s a great place to discuss your feelings with likeminded people. Thanks for your concern and I wish you and your friend the best.

• Posted

Please, please please google search using the key words HS and celiacs. You will come across true stories from people and very few doctors who have made the genetic conection that HS is a response to celiacs. Removing ALL gluten will clear up HS in just 3 weeks. Some people reported removing dairy and soy in addition to the gluten ( some dairy and soy when processed contains glutamines) put it in total remission. This isn't known to most doctors as its just getting recent attention in the last year. Your doctors will all say that its not celiacs (it is!). Please read the stories on the connection between HS and celiacs. Your child is having an autoimmune reaction to the gluten. He won't die! Just remove gluten..

• Posted

Wow so gluten is the root cause ? I was told healing the gut helps ...i have this condition I believe every now an then when I shave boils flare up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.