Is indigestion triggering SVT?

Posted , 9 users are following.

So I was on here a few days ago asking about Svt and my other symptoms. I ended up in emergency again. My heart went low to 49 then up to 184. I had tremors and shortness of breath. I stayed in the ER for 3 hours and it went away on its own. All my tests came back fine I'm so frustrated because I was doing nothing when my svt kicks in. Today I ate lunch and a little while later I start belching because my diaphragm feels like food is stuck and then I can't breath. Now I'm wondering f I have indigestion or some other stomach problem that triggers svt. I have had a lot of emotional stress and anxiety so maybe this is the cause? Anyone else feel this way?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Shelly,inigetion not the problem I think.Iused to have such attacks after foo when heavy and when taken at untimely times.Now I have cut down the meal size,taking it in different portions so that half my stomach is empty.Try it.

• Posted

Hi, I have often wondered the same thing myself. I have now had an ablation which I hope has worked. My SVT attacks would happen out of the blue usually when I was just sitting down relaxing and not after eating. However during the attack I always had huge amounts of burping and a feeling of indigestion in my chest. My consultant said there was no connection but I still wonder whether I had been swallowing air which triggered the attack.
    • Edited

Hi mary90 I had my ablation November, 3rd of this year do you still experience fast heart rate. I do my heart races when I use the bathroom or suddenly get up. If you experienced this please let me know
    • Posted

Hi Niya,

I had my ablation at the end of June. I did have a run of palpitations about three weeks later but it was much shorter than before. Since then I have had occasional bursts of fast heart rate but nothing I would call a full blown attack. It's still early days for you and your heart is still healing. Hopefully things will settle down as time goes on.

• Posted

Thank for your response. I thought after my ablation I'll be back to normal and poof no more symptoms. I had my hopes set way to high. I hope they settle as well.

• Posted

the same happens to me when I need to use the bathroom or suddenly get up. do you still experience this

• Posted

Hi, I get it when I go to the bathroom, doctors say they have never heard of anything like it

• Posted

My heart races when I use the bathroom too. Are you better now,? any suggestions?

• Edited

I started getting SVT two years ago.  When I had one I was belching VERY badly.  I really think indigestion has something to do with it.  Possibly a connection with the vagus nerve.  The majority of my SVT's happen when I am lying down, relaxed and ready to sleep.  That can also be when I'm having reflux/heartburn issues so indigestion could possibly be a trigger.

• Posted

Hi Shelley I understand how you are feeling about the SVT, I had the same situation about three years ago, It is hard to predict when an SVT is coming, it could be anxiety it could be so many things, what I recommend you check your heart with a

cardiologist, if it was just one time, you do not have to worry about anything, but if

it is more than one check the cardiologist, I don't know about the indigestion I never experienced that condition before, but for me SVT is a sickness that you have to treat with betablockers or with a procedure called ablation. Stay well.wink

• Posted

Yes it definitely can.  If you look up Sanjay Gupta, York Cardiologist he will explain "Gastro-Cardiac Syndrome"

• Posted

NB Sanjay is on youtube and has a lot of excellent videos which explain SVT and Ablation, ectopics and palpitations.  He's very reassuring.

I have some reflux issues however SVT can and has started in so many different scenarios from weight lifting to being completely and utterly asleep at 3am that for me it's just the "swiss cheese principle" and it will trigger when all the holes line up.  When everything is optimal for it to switch on, it will.  I've driven myself nuts over the past 30 years trying to work out what has triggered it  (coffee, alcohol, sleep deprivation, stress etc) and I've come to realise that it has a mind of its own!  Definitely hormonal - I'm susceptible in the first couple of days of my period but it also happens at plenty of other times.

• Posted

I remember that sometimes normal digestive processes felt similar to the onset of an SVT attack.  They still do to me, though I don't get SVT anymore after an ablation.

• Posted

You are so lucky after your ablation the svt stops.  I got mine three years ago and it didn't work, My cardiologist wants to do another one but I doubt it will work for some reasons this procedure is not a 100% successful. I am under betablockers since three years.

• Posted

While I haven't specifically noticed an increase in SVT episodes after a meal, I was told to cut out stimulants (obvious) and sugar, as these can cause palpitations. Your symptoms may also be related to the vagus nerve. I have had SVT my whole life, and, like you, there are not always obvious triggers for my episodes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.