Is Insomnia a symptom of Peri Menapause?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi again, sorry keep asking all these questions but my doctor isn't helping me at all. I am 47 I haven't had a period for 6 months, I don't seem to suffer with many hot flushes as yet but I have started to really overheat in bed which I can cope with but for the last 7 weeks I haven't slept more than 2hrs a night I am just wide awake and now it's taking its toll and finding it hard to function, I have tried listening to soft music, warm bath before bed, totally switching off half hour before bed, reading, watching TV, I went to my doctor and he gave me some sleeping tablets and they don't help at all in actual fact they make me feel worse as I'm not sleeping through the side affects so I'm wide awake and when I get up I feel real off balance sluggish and a real tight head and very emotional. Can any of you lovely ladies suggest anything please.

Thank you

Karen

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes Karen,

insomnia and waking early are part of perimenopause.  

You might try some 5-HTP to see if it helps you sleep.  You can get this supplement at any pharmacy or health food store.   

• Posted

Hi Karen, this is what happen in Peri Menopause you suffer with insomnia because hormones effects the brain and stop us from sleeping...I have been through exactly what you are going through, I use to lye there telling myself and others I can't sleep I can't sleep walking around like a Zombie on the street off balance I was hot then freezing cold I was so miserable and moody and made me irretable at times 

what I'm going to say to you is that it will get better and you will start to sleep again 

in the mean time night drink such as Horlicks or bit of Lavender oil on the pillow can help 

try not to worry and be kind to yourself it will not last forever.

• Posted

Hi, Karen,

Someone on this forum posted that when your estrogen levels go down your body tries to compensate by increasing the amount of adrenaline in your system.  That's why you are alert and unable to relax to sleep. I was/am experiencing the same thing!

I find that if I take the time to walk about a mile and a half during the day that it seems to help.  I also use valerian and passionflower to help me sleep.  There are many otic preparations containing these substances that might help.

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Karen, I sympathise with the insomnia. My solutions are 2 very lightweight duvets so I can throw one off when I'm hot and pull it back on if it's chilly but there's less of an extreme of temperatures so I find it less disturbing. And like Maria, I find lavender oil very, very effective for sleep. It's cheap, no side effects, no drugs in your system, 100% natural.  Get a good quality one - it's worth an extra £1-£2. And if you don't want oil on your pillowcases put it on a tissue under the pillow. xx

• Posted

Hi Karen, I'm with you all the,way on nit sleeping.i wake in the morning feeling like I've been out on the town all night. When I close my eyes it looks like fireworks going off behind my eye lids. My brain seems to be buzzing.

I have like you tried all the usual stuff. I may try the lavender oil and 5Htp.

Its worth it. I can understand the body producing more adrenaline, as it does feel like I'm rushing around but only in my head.

Take good care and we can get through this.

Mel.xx

• Posted

Hi, Mel,

As for the adrenaline.  I spent one night, awake all night, planning on how to clean out all my drawers and closets!  smile. The only reason I didn't start in is because I would have woken up my husband.

The next day, thoroughly exhausted but obsessed, I stayed in my night clothes and did it all, even dragging out what I was donating to the garage and putting it in the trunk of my car. 

Good luck with the 5-htp, I'm using that as well as gaba and trying l-theanine next.  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.