Is it a kidney stone

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a kidney infection an been on cipro since tue am..since then ive gotten worse. Tuesday threw up several times during day. Thursday night woke up vomitting . Friday i had this terrible pain hit me that stopped me in my tracks. I mean i hurt from my left flank,lower back, buttock,groin and leg. Hurts to move at all. Walking, coughing anything. So now im worried i have a kidney stone as well. Anyone here had a problem with pain like this.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello deedra97082

I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain and I hope you get through this soon. I am waiting to have an ultrasound at the end of month as I get such awful pain in my left flank and I think I may have kidney stones or something wrong with left kidney. Just finished a course of co-amoxiclav as I had blood, leukocytes and bacteria in urine though I didn’t feel like I had a urine infection (and I know what they feel like) and doctor said probably higher up in my urinary tract so she put me on antibiotics.  You mention you are on cuprous, is that for a Kidney infection, have you had any scans done to check if you have kidney stones?  Take care

• Posted

No kidney scan and yes cipro is for kidney infection.
  • Posted

This sounds exactly like a kidney stone. My first one had pain in all those areas. It was when the stone moved into my ureter from my kidney that I had those symptoms. I never vomit, but know other people get extremely nauseaus and vomit from the pain. If you can't get in with a urologist asap, the pain is worthy of an ER visit because they can give you something stronger to get your through.

• Posted

The pain definitely sounds familiar(as in kidney stone). Nausea and vomiting as well. I have never been so nauseated as with a kidney stone. I dry heaved a lot. I would get clammy and hot too. Zofran helped IMMENSELY with the nausea and is fast acting. Pain medicine is a must also. The pain can come on very fast and be very debilitating. Don't suffer through it anymore than you have to. Most importantly, I would ask for a CT scan to confirm the presence of stone(s) and the size as well. Then they can determine if you should try to pass it on your own or if a procedure is required. All I can say is, be assertive and boisterous. I lived with mine for a month because idiots kept telling me I would pass it on my own. No such luck in my case. I had a 4mm stone that got stuck in the ureter due to some scar tissue from a kidney infection I had when I was about 5. If they had scanned me earlier, it would have saved me a lot of grief. Many people pass stones up to 7mm, but it really just depends on the person. There's no blanket course of care for all of us. Please ask for a scan and meds ASAP. You don't deserve to suffer like this. Keep us posted, you're among fiends that sympathizecheesygrin

• Posted

Can I ask if you can get this excruciating pain in the kidney and it lasts a week and then goes?  I have had four bouts of this since June and for several days I can do nothing, even breathing and talking causes me awful pain but it goes in about a week. Always same side, left kidney area
    • Posted

Mine didn't unfold quite like that. Over 5 weeks, I did have several "bouts" of stabbing pain that would come on very fast. After only minutes I would be writhing in agony. I would try to get comfortable, but no position helped. My "episodes" only lasted 1-4 hours for the first 4. The last one lasted 16 hours. I was laying on the floor of the bathroom wretching and near tears. The only thing that provided any relief at all was sitting on my knees in the shower and letting the hot water hit my back. A heating pad helped a little. It was the absolute worst pain of my life! I still can't even believe how much it hurt. If you have the same level of pain I had and it's going on for a week at a time, then you are one tough cookie! Breathing didn't hurt, but I have read others' accounts who said the same thing as you. Symptoms can vary. Most of the people I've talked to don't get nauseous, but I sure did. After the stone got stuck(which was pretty early on), it caused the ureter to swell and get blocked. My kidney function dropped such that my right kidney was almost non-functioning. I still don't know if it was damaged, but I go back for tests in April. I feel great and am hopeful that all is well. I am not trying to scare anyone with this info, just stressing the importance of getting the right tests and getting medications. Seems like everyone on here has a horror story about doctors not doing enough from the beginning. Once nephrons in the kidney start to die, it can mean permanent damage. I shouldn't have waited so long to go to the ER(the 2nd time, that is), but doctors kept telling me to drink water and that I would pass it. Since it was my first kidney stone, I didn't know any better. I have a friend whose pain is longer lasting like yours. Terrible affliction........

• Posted

In my situation, it took months to get diagnosed because I had no idea a kidney stone could cause such generalized pain. There would be weeks that I was fine and than I would go on a walk or do some arduous activity and end up bed ridden for days (which meant the stone moved to a position my body found unacceptable). Sometimes I thought I was having the worst menstrual cramps of my life (went to gynecologist and got cleared)...than I thought maybe I had a serious GI problem (I even had a colonoscopy and endoscopy to find out there was nothing wrong). If only someone had thought to do an x-ray or CT scan because it would have spared me so much pain and misery. Definitely get scanned...at least you will know for certain! Very supportive group here and happy to share and offer insights/experiences.
    • Posted

I wemt to the Dr yesterday. Said i was still showing lots of white cells in urine. Drew blood and sent urine to the lab. Got tordol shot anf prescription. Of the same. Changed anti biotic to bactrim. Said couldnt be a kidney stone cause no blood in my urine. . so now my question is can u have them amd not pass blood. The tordol helping a great deal..but still got aways to go. Said if still hurting bad by Tuesday afternoon to come back.
    • Posted

Wow, see I hate when doctors act like it's not possible to have a stone if there's no blood. It's not like it's a fact lol! My first urine sample looked like coffee from so much blood in it. This was during episode #1 of the pain, when I first realized I had a stone. Conversely, my second urine sample had the lowest detectable amount of blood of +1. Not visible to the naked eye. My third urine sample still only had +3, which is still not detectable to the naked eye. Who knows with yours....maybe an hour later, there would have been blood. I also had lots of white cells. Toradol is very powerful! Glad you got it. Keep asking for a CT scan. They owe you that. Or at the very least, an x ray. CT is better though. Hang in there.

Derek

• Posted

Deedra, the doctor I saw at the ER said the exact same thing to me...that it couldn't be a stone because there was no blood in my urine. He was going to send me home with the diagnosis of burst ovarian cyst. My nurse bet the doctor a soda that he was wrong and that I had a kidney stone (she was a fellow sufferer). He told me I could have a CT scan, but he didn't recommend it and the added radiation should deter me for what was likely just a burst cyst because I didn't have any blood in my urine (just excruciating pain radiating from my kidney down to my pelvis that was only slightly less painful than childbirth). I insisted on the CT scan and there it was...two 4mm's in my right kidney. He failed to mention the four that were 4mm that passed into my bladder while I was in the ER (reason for the agony). I was sent home with good meds to help me pass the two in my kidney. Imagine my surprise when I passed six of those 4mm's in one week. No blood in my urine...not a good indicator of whether a person has a kidney stone. Only reason I suspected it was because of the previous year I had a giant one that required lithotripsy. I knew I was capable of forming them and that if you have one, the chances of having another is huge.

• Posted

I failed to mention that you can also have a giant stone sitting in your kidney, not doing anything to cause bleeding and yet still have pain. And many doctors (maybe even most doctors) don't think we can have pain from stones sitting in our kidneys . They would be wrong. We are all different and the symptoms vary, but I had generalized pain in my back, flank, abdomen and pelvis region for a good six months. Sometimes I felt great for weeks. Sometimes I was bed-ridden for days (do I have menstrual cramping? Did I pull something in my back? Do I have uterine cancer? Some kind of colon disease?) All I knew was that I was often fine and some days not fine at all. At night I was torn between rubbing my sore back or my abdomen because I couldn't figure out where the pain was coming from. My husband was starting to think it was all in my head. I had people tell me to buck up and get out of bed, that I was making it up because the doctor s weren't finding anything wrong with me. Turns out a 1cm stone sitting in your kidney can cause pain. Generalized all the way to excruciating depending on where it moves. I love my mother-in-law, she's a nurse, but even she said it couldn't be a kidney stone or I would be screaming in agony. She didn't know that just having one in my kidney could make me ill. There was a lot of crow eating after my diagnosis and I shamed my husband for treating me like I was making it up (I have a panic disorder, so I think they all thought I was creating it so I wouldn't have to leave the house). Also, my first stone was in my left kidney and made me symptomatic and ill. The ones that brought me to the ER this year were formed in my right kidney and I had no pain or symptoms until I passed them. So even your symptoms can be different depending on the kidney. My third and most recent bout was back in my left one and once again, the same generalized pain symptoms from a large stone just sitting around in my kidney doing nothing.

• Posted

Thank u for your reply..i have had this off on pain for two years..but then its just so painful where i would think uretha from kidney to bladder would be. Sharp pain that hits me and bow me over. But gone as fast as it comes. But now it just hurts..i had a feeling you could pass them without blood

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.