Is it a TFCC tear? Old untreated fracture help.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Does anybody know what is wrong with my wrist.

I have pain in left wrist. I do have full ROM but it is aggrovated by activities such as carrying/lifting, playing guitar, piano, playing sports, literally anything where I move it to much. In the cold it also hurts or when I prod at it to much. My entire forearm starts to tire. There is also mild swelling.

It was in 2012 when it all begun. I was arm wrestling and then suddenly I heard and felt a Pop. I went to the doctors and they diagnosed it as an "Old United Avulsion of the Ulnar Styloid Process" - Don't get how it was an 'old one'? - Anyways I was sent home without any treatment done except words from the doctor to be careful with wrist, don't do anything too crazy.

As the years went on, the pain only continued! It never stopped. A dull aching pain/throbbing and somethings stinging.

Finally in 2016, I decided that it was time to check it out. (I didn't go earlier as I thought, I can live with this, I mean the doctor said it was okay, so I thought alrighty) - I trusted them. I thought it was going to heal in time.

I got an X-RAY in October 2016-  findings:  'a remote ununited fracture transeverses the ulna styloid with 6mm bony fragment related to top of the ulna styloid process' - But the doctor said this 6mm bony fragment is too small to be causing pain, so sent for a ultrasound.

Here, nothing was discovered, everything appeared normal. There was no cause found for my symptoms:

"No evidence of tenosynovitis nor evidence of subcutaneous mass lesion. No evidence of ganglion formation"

"Extensor Carpi ulnaris tendon appears intact with the Flexor Carpi ulnaris tendon also appearing normal"

After this I was sent to Physio where it is believe that the bony fragment is in fact causing the pain, and it is disrupting the ligaments and therefore the mechanics of the wrist joint are being affected.

Ahh. I just don't know. At the moment I am waiting for an appointment with Fracture Clinic to get a proper diagnosis but unless I'm urgent this can take months and years!!

Currently have waited over 9 months for my orthopaedic appointed - predicted to wait atleast another year.

If anybody has any idea, help would be amazing! -

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Slow and steady.  Think positive.  Where are you located?  USA or UK?  Are you icing?  If not start again.  Are you using OTC or Rx to help with pain management?  Have you worked with a PT?  Post again when you have time.

• Posted

Hi.

Thank you for the reply.

Slow and Steady, true that! Actually located in Australia.

Not really icing at the moment, kind of gave up on that. Not that helpful.

Not working with a PT, had been for a little but was not totally helping. He couldn't really do too much.

Nothing for pain management. Had been taking pain relief medicine for a while but also didn't help too much.

It is one of those things that probably needs an orthopaedic surgeon/doctor to look at as conservative treatment doesn't really do anything honestly. I would just love to find out what kind of injury it is. I mean I thought the GP doctor or radiologist would be able to at least diagnose where the pain is coming from. I thought that the fact that I have I ununited fracture would be why but according to the doctors it isn't?? I guess that's why I need an Ortho doctor as it seems all these other medical professionals are clueless. Bit annoying but guess that's just life.

• Posted

YES, you need an orthopaedic doctor.  Why is the wait so long??  Please do not give up on ICING...and using warmth/heat too. You need to see the OD find out what is going on.  Look up icing and heat techniques online at a reputable website.  I cannot believe you have to wait so long to get medical care...ugh!  Good luck and stay away from activities that cause issues until you have had an OD look at you.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.