Is it a TIA

Posted , 5 users are following.

I  am a 44 year old female who recently one morning woke up after having a restless night. I sat up in the bed and all of a sudden I felt physically sick, had really bad sweats, feeling as though I was going to pass out and had pins and needles in both hands and arms. I had an episode of this 6 months ago but I didn't have the pins and needles. After 10 mins it went away and I felt ok. Could this be a mini stroke?

aabb

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi AABB only your doctor can answer this question for you, please go see your GP

Anne

• Posted

Thanks Anne for getting back to me. The good thing is I feel fine so I don't want to go to my GP incase it was nothing. I was already at my doctor last week for something else, I will however go if it happens again.

aabb

• Posted

better safe than sorry, i had a tia last june so on meds now to prevent further tias so best to have checked out to be on the safe side. 

Anne

• Posted

I would see to talk to your GP, better safe than sorry, otherwise maybe ask your pharmacist ? Or call the NHs helpline. Worth getting some tests to be sure.

• Posted

I had a tia in July,by the time the ambulance men came I was ok? but they insisted I still went to hospital. 

Your doctor is there to see you when your unwell no matter how many times this is.

You are concerned yourself or else you wouldn't be on this forum.

Bite the bullet and go see him!

Go see your doctor he won't think your making a fuss over nothing!

• Posted

Must have been very distressing for you aabb, please do mention it to your doctor when you next see your GP - they would rather you tell them because that way they have a more detailed overview of your general health and it helps them make better informed decisions about your care.  I hope you find it's nothing serious. xx
  • Posted

Thank you all for getting back to me. If I did go to see my GP and he sent me for tests would the tests not come back clear because I feel ok now? Especially an ECG, I would imagine that it would look ok. 

Aabb

• Posted

Hi aabb

We cannot judge ourselves that all is OK just because we are feeling better!

It could  be a blood pressure problem or like your say may be nothing at all.

Its always best to get a check-up smile

• Posted

Hi aabb,

As every one has suggested go and see your GP , I don't know what other current health problems you have but have you considered Menopause ? The reason I mentioned that is because my partner use to have the same symptoms and she was a lot younger than 44 when they finally made a diagnosis of Menopause. Usually under TIA's your left side goes all numbe/tingly and a severe headache and not always but usually drooling and musles in you face droop to one side, you have or can find that you have troubles lifting up your arm(s) even speech impairment and you get the feeling or are asking yourself mentally "where am I " as if you have ....ohhh I don't know the proper word for it, I suppose confusion or some may call it a type of memory loss. I suffered the symptoms above and some more when I had my TIA but in saying that though everyone is different and may  not present with all the symptoms so this is why it is important to see your GP they will be able to determine something is going on, MRI is usually the golden rule but when you have the symptoms at the time or up to several hours after the symptoms have dis-appeared a Cat  Scan can usually pick a TIA up, (not always but it can be reasonably acurate in an emergency room situation)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.