Is it abdominal issues or anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I'm 19. So in June of 2017, I had a really bad stomach pain that was accompanied by what I believe was a panic attack. Heart was pumping really fast, felt a lump in my throat and could barely breathe. I went to the hospital and told my doctor and they eventually found nothing wrong with me after doing a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I am a bit iron deficient too. Ever since that first episode I get this problem about once a month. But sometimes there isn't any stomach pain and it's just the anxiety symptoms. 

Starting in January up until now, I have been living with a lot of fear of death and I can barely sleep at night (fall asleep at 3am) because of morbid thoughts. And since yesterday, I have stomach pain and panic attacks. What's causing this? 

Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety can irritate your gut; the brain and the gut are strongly linked.  Do you have any change of bowel habit and does your pain move about?
    • Posted

I don't have any change in bowel habit and the pain is always at the bottom middle of my belly. 

• Posted

Ask for an abdominal ultrasound to investigate where the pain is coming from.  Maybe the anxiety brought on by the stomach pain triggered a panic attack.  It could be that the fear of more stomach pain is causing the panic episodes.
  • Posted

Hi Obark

Are you male or female?...if you are female you mention it occurs approx monthly it could relate to your monthly cycle and hormones. If you are male or female then perhaps you need to have your B12 checked as this is connected to iron levels. If iron and B12 are low you will get odd symptoms such as feeling panicky and agitated and can cause stomach problems....

• Posted

I'm a male. My last doctor appointment, I was told I am only low in iron.

• Posted

Hi Obark

Yes, i imagine your doctor did if they done a routine blood test and your iron was low, but a B12 blood test has to be specifically ordered the doc won't order a B12 test in a routine run of the mill blood test..Ask your doctor to check your B12..what does your doc intend doing about your low iron?.. you need to be taking iron supplements....has he given you script for iron or does your doctor think you are buying them yourself..either way you need to top up your iron...

• Posted

I will be asking about my B12 thanks. I used to be taking iron pills but a couple weeks after taking them, is when I started getting severe breathing issues and abdominal pain. They thought it could be from the iron pills or something else, so I got a colonoscopy and endoscopy and they couldn't find anything. 

• Posted

Hi Obark

Many people seem to ignore the Medication Information Leaflet that accompanies their meds. If you still have the iron pills check if the MIL is there and check for side effects, perhaps breathlessness will show as a side effect of the iron pills.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.