Is it acid reflux causing my sore throat ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I been diagnosed with Gastritis and am on 20mg Omaprazole which I take in morning. I've developed a really sore throat and burning sensation and funny taste in my mouth ..I think this is acid reflux coming up which I never had before I started taking Omaprazole. I'VE had an Endoscopy and a camera down throat everything is clear except for moderate Gastritis . Been on Omaprazole for 3 months .. do I need to increase dosage .What can I do to ease sore throat . Will Gavison help and can I take Gavison and Omaprazole or do I have to leave several hours after taking Omaprazole before I take Gavison ...Thanks for any advice ...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Alison, not sure about the Omaprazole point, but this matter of taking meds and gaviscon around the same time was brought up the other day, and Barretts recommends two hours between them. The net has some confusing accounts of some doctors saying it's ok to take them together, and others saying not to, so that the gaviscon doesn't interfere with the med. You could ask your own doctor too.

If acid is reaching your throat then the gaviscon should neutralise it, but if your stomach acid is quite suppressed, as it should be by now, then it could be other stomach fluid, like pepsin, which is irritating. Awful I know.

• Posted

Sore throat and taste in mouth are classic symptoms of extra-oesophageal reflux but not necessarily acid related, though that would explain the burning sensation.

Omeprazole is good at reducing acid but not so good at controlling reflux.

See the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux in the book / website www DownWithAcid org uk.

If you can reduce the reflux, I'm guessing the sore throat will heal. Gaviscom is good at helping with acid but not necessarily sore throats.

If acid hypersecretion is still a problem, it is quite safe to double the dose but do discuss this with your doctor first. And it is quite OK to take Gaviscon but it;s best to seperate your omeprazole & Gaviscon by a couple of hours.

• Posted

Thank you so much ...your advice is comforting and reassuring.
    • Posted

i suffer from a terrible sore throat and i double up on my medication.I have got it now feels like your throat is on fire gaviscon seems to calm it down a bit i also get bad ulcers in mouth and roof of mouth pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.