Is it anxiety? Migraine? Derealisation?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Lately I have been feeling pretty good in my anxiety. I have been able to calm down quite a bit, then suddenly, for the last couple days, my head feels fuzzy and I feel weak and exhausted, like a migraine is about to start, but no massive headaches so far. Now at work, I feel like I can't read what's on the screen, although I obviously can but I feel like it's such a hard effort to read and focus. I have a hard time looking at people and looking like I'm paying full attention to what they are saying because my eyes just feel like they are unfocusing. As if I can't recognise what I"m looking at. 

I have always thought this was derealisation but I don't really feel like I am outside of myself but rather that I have a hard time connecting with what is happening around me. 

Does anyone else get this? I just need a little reassurance I think. I was fine this morning and then bam this hit me at work when I most need to be able to focus but now I can't remember what I was doing, I keep jumping from task to task because I can't stay on topic. It's affecting my work but I hope I can just calm down and get more done this afternoon.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth55, 

Don't panic most importantly!

Anxiety disorders are a (not-so-fun) rollercoaster ride of emotions. One day you can feel fine, then the next everything can go to pot. So just remember to take one day at a time.

Personally I haven't had the experience that you are feeling (other than when I am day-dreaming, when doing boring jobs! lol), but I can imagine how scary that must be for you. 

Just keep telling yourself that you are ok and you can deal with this. (The power of positive thinking is amazing if you do it often enough). Also try talking some deep meditative breaths. Try breathing in deeply and then breathing out in a long, drawn out breath. Try and do this gently, so you have no ragged breathes. (Do this in the toilets if you don't feel comfortable doing this in the office! - Surely a few minutes in the loos calming yourself down is better than getting so worked up that you cannot work properly for the rest of the day). I'm sure your employer would prefer you take this approach as well.  

Obviously I don't know how secure your job is, or anything like that; but if you feel that you can trust them (or can trust someone at work) it may help to advise them of your anxiety issues. They can then help support you. Maybe they could re-proritise your workload, and get you doing a different task just while you get yourself a little calmer).

Whatever you do decide to do remember that you are not alone. Anxiety can be a very lonely illness - but make sure you know that that is not the case for you. Surround yourself with people who care about you and remember you always have this forum. 

Take care.  

• Posted

Thank you. I have suffered with anxiety to varying degrees for years, so I know how awful it can be.

My view is that if I can help others, through experiencing how rubbish I have felt during these periods of time, then I consider my suffering a little more worthwhile! biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.