Is it asthma?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I’m 25 years old and never had any obvious reasons to believe I had asthma

But about 6 months ago I woke up in the night very wheezy and short of breath. I was coughing for about 45 mins to an hour before I could finally get back to sleep. It was very scary as it felt like I was breathing through a straw and if it went any tighter I don’t think I’d have been able to breathe at all.

This happened again twice but about 4 weeks apart each time so I went to the doctors and they gave me a blue asthma pump and said to use it as and when I felt I need it. 

I didn’t use it for a while and wondered if I ever would but the ‘attacks’ did come back. 

Now I’m finding I’m using the pump about once a week but the only thing I find strange is that it always happens when I’m asleep?

The pump does help and relaxes my airways. I continue to cough but it feels more loose and I feel much better very quickly whereas if I didn’t use the pump it could take about an hour to feel better. 

Every time I’ve used my pump I’ve only had to use it once until earlier this week I found I had to use it twice. And last night I felt like it didn’t provide much relief at all. 

If I ever sneeze I find I feel a bit wheezy and tight chested after so wonder if it could be allergies? But I have never suffered with allergies before. 

I am going to make an appointment to see my doctor as he said to go back if I find I need to use it regularly but just wondering if anyone has these symptoms and know what I might have?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi sounds very familiar to me I have had asthma for years and the fact that your chest tightness eases when you use the blue inhaler it sounds like it is asthma.

The cough at night, may be helped by using an extra pillow 

I think you will be wise to back to your doctor he may do some tests and maybe put you on a different inhaler you may be affected by an allergy.

Good luck I you soon feel better 

Regards 

• Posted

Thanks I’ll try the extra pillow!

Do you think it’s weird that if it is asthma I only really get it at night?

• Posted

Maybe there's something in your room that you allergic to or even in the pillows you sleep on. Allergy testing may be helpful as your attacks seem to be isolated. Good luck!

• Posted

It’s hard to say I find summertime worst as there loads of extra pollens about and windows open at night to keep cool

I use my inhaler when I go to bed this helps a little

Regards 

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I am 26 years old and for some months i am experiencing shortness of breath and coughing (always during day, never night). I have anxiety disorder, gerb and chronic synusitis. 

I had asthma as a child but my symptoms went away with therapy. i am a smoker, one pack per day (lately 10 cigaretts a day). I went to do spirometry and i am terrified i have asthma again, or worse copd. 

my results are: fvc 90%, fev1 76%, tiff 72%, fef 50 51%.

It says on it: obstructive difficulties of ventilation in smaller degree.

Does anyone know what these results mean? I have appointment at pulmologist on Monday, but my anxiety will kill me until then.. sad 

I am so scared. 

Please someone help. 

• Posted

Since your breathing difficulties have gotten more frequent you should go back to see doctor. While waving for that appointment, check for environmental triggers in your house and especially. Is room too hot or humid? Get a zipper cover for mattress anti-Allergic. Encase pillows in same material or get new pillows , use only washable linens on bed and clean frequently. No fuzzy stuffed animals and especially not pets in your room and especially not sleeping in your bed.  Oh, yes you can retrain your pet! Get someone who loves you to help you clean room from top to bottom and keep it reasonably clean. Use fragrance free detergents , for no perfume  no room deodorizes,they are toxic ! NO PERFUMED CANDLES ANYWHERE IN THE HOUSE! NO OLD MUSTY books etc

make sure shower toilet, floor are spotless as well as shower curtain and curtains. Mold, mildew dust dirt shoe polish and other strong odors may set you off. No smoking materals in the house.. follow drs. . orders ,take the inhaler meds with you at all times, use it as needed or on every4-6 hr.especially before BED? DRINK LOTS OF WATER EVERYDAYZŻ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.