Is it Cancer: Swollen lymph nodes in armpit

Posted , 5 users are following.

a few months back i had somewhat painful lumps in my armpits after a gym session and after some research i chalked it down to irritation from sweat and or antiperspirant, the lumps completely went and i was fine, until recently where im experiencing it again, im not too knowledgeable but to my understanding if it was cancer the lumps surely would of got bigger and not went away but the fact theyre swollen again is a bit scary, i hate the doctors so im wondering if its something i need to get checked or whether i can monitor it myself for any worse progression. Also im aware that they might swell when im ill or fighting off infections, but im not ill now and cant recall being ill the last time it happened, any advice would be appreciated!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. You pretty much said it yourself. If it was something potentially serious like cancer, it definetely wouldn't go away. There's a good chance that you may have abit of an infection somewhere, but if it continues just get it looked at for peace of mind more than anything. There are a few reasons why the lymph node may become swollen & cancer is often not one of them, buf of course can be. You'll be fine. Good luck.

• Posted

i just want to add to what michelle said cancerous growth do not cause pain they are painless its only when they become large and start to press on nerves etc that they would cause pain what u have is most likely a swollen gland and sometimes theres no cause for it

• Posted

Whilst I agree with the others that this is probably not an indication of cancer - you do still need to get it checked out. If its an infection in your system it may not go away on its own and could cause major problems, eg sepsis if left untreated, particularly if its a staph A or Streptococcal infection. Your doctor can prescribe antibiotics.

• Posted

Get the Dr to check it out. I had a lump in the groin, did a google search and 2 options came up, hernia or lymph node. I thought if it was a hernia I better check it out, as my work can get heavy at times, so visited the doctor. Melanoma! The one thing that probably saved my life, was seeing the Dr. quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.