Is it Coeliac?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Ive recently visited my doctor with a few symptoms and she has ordered a blood test for varios things. One of them being CD. 

I had never concidered it may be CD or gluten, im now worried about what a big change that would be and adjusting to life without gluten.

My symptoms include:

- Bloated uncomfortable (Pregnant like) stomach at night. 

- 2-3 times a week, painful stomach (again mainly in the evening)

- Occasional vomitting after evening meal

- Mainly loose stool, getting to diarrhea like weekly.(Sorry, Tmi)

- Also monthly-ish bouts of constipation

- Fatige and tiredness most days usually around 11 then again after lunch at 3-4, find it very difficult to concentrate on work, usually end up spacing out. 

- Get bouts of really bad mouth ulcers, that seem to come in batches every few months.

I also thought I was lactose Intollerant, and that was the cause. The more I look up CD the more symptoms I fit into. 

Is eczema linked to CD, because I developed that around 6 years ago, 

I now feel like when im eating gluten products im feeling sick, but im not sure if this is actually related or if its my mind making connections and focussing on it.

Im really apprehensive about my test results, but I wont get them back till wednesday. 

How easily did people adjust to that big of a dietary change?

Thanks in advance :D :D 

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I hope that your problem does not turn out to be Coeliac disease but something more easy to deal with.  If it does turn out to be CD, all is not completely lost.  The larger supermarkets have quite large ranges of gluten-free products but you have to give up the idea of benefiting from such as Lidl and Aldi to save money, except for things that are inherently gluten-free such as fruit, vegetables, meat and so on.  I find it better to shop on-line because the range of products ar larger than can be found in-store, personally I use Sainsburys but I expect the others are the same.

I would also advise that you join Coeliac UK.  This organisation has generated a directory of gluen-free products as well as a wide range of recipes.  There are also some good recipe books avalable, my favourite being Nosh Gluten Free by Joy May.  Unfortunately the one difficult product is bread.  I have yet to find any that is really acceptable for anything other than toast.  Crusty baguettes are now something that I can only look at with longing!

Good luck and I hope you manage to get sorted soon.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice! Online shopping is a win! I will definitely miss my aldi shops for cheapness.

I might have a go at making gluten free bread myself as I've heard it's usually better than the shop bought because it's fresh.

Getting ahead of myself I suppose until I get my results.

• Posted

I wonder what your results have shown? Blood tests sometimes give a false negative.  You could see a dermatologist for a biopsy of your eczema to test for Dermatitis Herpetiformis which would mean CD.  If you have a gastroscopy you need to be eating at least 4 serves of gluten per day (equivalent to 4 slices of bread) for 6 weeks before hand.
  • Posted

I wonder what your results have shown? Blood tests sometimes give a false negative.  You could see a dermatologist for a biopsy of your eczema to test for Dermatitis Herpetiformis which would mean CD.  If you have a gastroscopy you need to be eating at least 4 serves of gluten per day (equivalent to 4 slices of bread) for 6 weeks before hand.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have celiac and I only found out about 4 months ago!

Blood tests do not show if you have it either as I had loads before hand!

I went tk my doctors with most of the symptoms you are having as I have always suffered with my tummy and the only way they it showed up I had it was an endoscopy and a colonoscopy as well as 28 biopsies and they wanted to rule out everything else.

You do have to eat tiny bits of gluten 2 weeks before these tests but I was ok as it was tiny amounts! Living with CD is different and can be very upsetting and frustrating as its a case of "why can't I be normal" especially when you love food with gluten in!! But there are so many recipes and products out there to make life easier so it's just adjusting to it! It could always be worse aswell. I would highly recommend speaking to your doctor about these procedures and explain how it's making you feel. I suffered with bad depression and anxiety too and they put me on tablets for it when in fact it was a major side effect of being celiac and not being on the correct diet! It's a long process going back and forth to find out answers but after those two procedures which they done in one day it was a huge relief to find out what it actually was! Good luck!!! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.