Is it dangerous to eat laying down?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 25 and I am eating pizza while laying down. I'm not lazy I'm just sleepy. I've been doing this alot lately I wonder if I am the only one? I have no energy. I weight 140lbs. Why do I always get sleepy after eating and sleeping right after? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks💖I think I have acid reflux. I always cough after eating and can't seem to stop it makes my mom worried. I have a dry cough. Throat feels sore and irritated. This happens everyday. 

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if i were you first I would never eat lying down, you could choke.I would get checked out by your primary care and ENT doctor, or your P C can refer you to one. I have the symptoms you have, I also many times fell asleep after eating.But with me my digestion is slow and pressure goes low. Few months ago I was Dx with LPR, on meds, need more tests. I've had gerd a long time and other digestive disorders.

I don't eat large meals, I don't eat certain foods. I don't eat anything 3 hours before going to bed. There are other things that can be causing your symptoms. That's why you need to be checked. Speak with your mom.

Take Care maria

• Posted

Thanks maria I will?My problem is I'm always tired and have no energy so I eat in my bed and sleep afterwards I know this may make the acid reflux worse but I can't help it. I'm extremely sleepy after eating like if I had taken sleeping pills. My eyes can't stay open. I have gone to my doctor but they prescribed me PPI's and I can't take big pills so I didn't take them. They said if my problems went away after taking the pills it was the acid reflux. sad I heard these meds make the problem worst. I will try eating smaller meals and stop my soda intake. Thanks👍💖

• Posted

If I were you I would go to your primary care doctor, get a physical including blood work, if you didnt already...because you need to find out what's causing your lack of energy.

Maria

• Posted

I will ask my Doctor about my fatigue.  I had blood work done only was low on vitamin d and I have high cholesterol. Thanks again☺
  • Posted

Both things will make your reflux go up. Just about everyone has reflux, but what amout creates problem for you is up to you.  So stop eating laying back, wait at least 3 hours and if you eat pizza all the time expect some problems along the way so you need to take it easy with the pizza.  As for getting sleepy?  Again, just about everyone gets sleepy after eating, but how much depends on your health so basically only a Doc with blood work can give you a better idea.  Btw, if they give you PPI's keep in mind they help with symptoms, not the cause of the problem which wil get worse with time if you do not control your eating habits.

• Posted

I eat pizza only once a month. I get extremely sleepy after eating. "Like if I had taken strong sleeping pills." I can't stay awake so I crash down." Thanks for the advice. I've read posts PPI's are not good. They make things worst. Thing is everything I eat makes me cough and  my throat irritated. I eat laying back because I have no energy anymore I'm  very tired all the time. Thanks again. 👍

• Posted

Maybe you should go to a functional medicine. Normally it's all cash but they do testing regular Doctors don't. 

I have gluten sensitivity and double MTHFR mutation.  Regular Doctors don't even know what that is. ;-(

You will find an asnwer soon, but meanwhile don't abuse your body. God Bless!

• Posted

Great advice👍Thanks I will. I probably have gluten sensitivity too. God Bless you!💖

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.