Is it diabetes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, im new to this so hope im writing in the right place! My daughter whose 10 spent the day on Thursday in our local a+e due to fainting and weakness (she couldnt walk by herself). They check her sugar levels and they were 3.3 so they done more test as she is not diabetic that we no off! Anyway they check again twixe within 3 hours, the sencond time it was 6.8 and an hour later it was 12.8 which they said was to high for her! they done a blood test which i forget the name off and it came back saying the sugar level in her body had gone high! Her urine was showing a trace off blood which it keeps doing the past year and noone can tell me why and she also had 3 plus of ketones showing up!

Her ecg was sitting at borderline which they put down to her heart murmur returning! sent us to another hospital as they werent happy with her who they then sent us home and told to go to own gp. we went to own gp on fri and her sugar level was 7.6 the 5.8 so he was happy and sent her home with no answers. im distracted with worry as to why it went high and why they are not investigating and also why theres always blood in her urine and is it all related! Sorry for the long post but i would be so grateful for some advice please.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Im sorry about your daughters condition. You should go to a doctor and find out about the blood in urine. Could be a kidney problem. Possibly affecting glucose. Regardless. See a professional.
  • Posted

With a sugar level of 3.3 that is what is called a hypo and a level of 12.8 is a hyper which is what occurs in people with diabetes but, having said that, the blood in the urine might be a sign of a bladder/kidney infection which would cause the sugar levels to go up. People who haven't got diabetes have sugar levels going up and down throughout the day although there is a "normal" level and I would say that over 12 is above that unless there's an infection.  Perhaps you could get her sugar levels checked at a pharmacist as some do free diabetes checks as the lower sugar levels found by the doctor doesn't mean she hasn't got diabetes. The ketones don't sound good either.  As for the blood, I have been diabetic for the last 22 years and I've lost count of the many times they've found blood in my urine but despite tests and scans they haven't found anything wrong but I have also been treated for the occasional urine infection so perhaps you should go back to the doctor, especially if the blood in her urine can easily be seen as mine only shows up with a dip test.  There's something going on and it should have been sorted out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.