Is it endometriosis, ovarian cancer or something else?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies

I need your help.

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis in December 2009 when I was 34 weeks pregnant. Had a flare-up then that lasted 3 months. Flared again in Sep 2011 and was put on prednisone (3 months). Managed to get in remission shortly after.

Been in remission ever since.

However, 6 weeks ago started getting pain in lower right abdomen that radiated few inches from my belly button down my lower abdomen and groin toward my right leg, and also my lower back and felt urgency with urination.

Went to emergency and they ruled out appendicitis, UTI, hernia (blood work, urine and ultrasound all came back fine). Had colonoscopy few days later, Ulcerative colitis not active.

Had a CT scan of my abdomen to check for kidney stones. Results negative, ovaries and uterus look normal, no masses or tumors, no hernia.

Pain is still there, started dull/annoying and now sharp/stabbing. It comes and goes. My right abdomen seems a bit swollen (to me at least, maybe I’m just seeing things now) and it is causing discomfort with my c section scar. Pain comes on more when I’m sitting or bending over. Few doctors suggested endometriosis. Going to see gynecologist in September (no earlier time available) Blood test done for CA125 – came back fine.

My last urine test came back with traces of blood in it but no infection.

So my doctor is sending me to see a Urologist to investigate this further. I guess he will be doing cystoscopy using local anesthesia. yikes Not looking forward to it at all

I’m a bit worried, is it ovarian cancer, endometriosis or bladder issue

In a bit of a panic mode as I need to know what is causing this .. Any thoughts ?

Thank you for listening

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

****MORE UPDATES****

I had cystoscopy on Monday. It was a bit uncomfortable but I managed. My bladder and urethra look healthy which is good news. So ruled that out.

However, the urologist mentioned that my uterus looks a bit swollen and is pushing onto my bladder.  Ct scan I had back in May showed my uterus and ovaries as normal. Blood work for tumors and ovarian cancer came back normal. Pap test came back normal.

Not sure what to think anymore. Pain still there, some days better that others.

Now, I phoned my gynecologist to see if she can see me sooner that September. Fingers crossed

• Posted

Oh that's good. One thing ruled out inside bladder and urethra.

But yes, leaves you with the question: what is it then.

Yes, a pelvic ultrasound will be the next step I guess.

• Posted

Because you mentioned a C-section... I'm wondering if you have scar tissue around your organs. 

About 5 years ago  (I was about 30 years old, two children, one miscarriage) I was in so much pain I couldn't stand up straight or sit up tall. Felt like everything below my stomach was cramping downward toward my vagina (excuse my openness). During my periods it was the worst pain I've ever endured. The only relief was laying still in bed. Eating food was scary because it would send me into more cramping. Pain pills hardly effected the pain and only caused constipation which made my pain that much worse. 

After seeing 6 doctors, several tests (colonoscopy, ultrasound, catscan..etc) and having to leave my job due to absence I finally underwent "exploratory surgery". They discovered scar tissue was all over my right ovary, bottom of my stomach, and uterus. The picture I was given looked like giant thick spider webs attached to my organs and pulling downward toward my pelvic area. Most likely caused by my appendix surgery that was not done  laparoscopically. They removed it all but was told it may return. It has been three years since the surgery. About 2 months ago I thought I pulled a muscle in my back and on my next period all the symptoms returned. 

The problem  is there is no way to see if it's scar tissue build up. Doesn't show up on tests or scans of any kind. Only surgery can reveal it. Only surgery can it be removed. But there is no way to prevent it and surgery causes it. Double edge sword. 

Hopfully it's not scar tissue. If it is, surgery will help. After about three months you'll feel 100% again. But after 3 years it may return. I find relief in ibProfen and Tremedol ...lighter periods - naproxen and bed rest.  

Wishing you the best and speedy recovery. 

• Posted

Just to clarify- I thought I pulled a muscle in my back a few months ago... Three days of lower back pain I finally went to the ER. Once the doctor pushed on my lower abdomen and screamed in pain... I knew the back pain was not my back at all. Sure enough all the scans and tests revealed "nothing wrong". Just like last time. I'm sure it's scar tissue again. 

The he most frustrating part is being in this much pain and not having answers. I really hope you get them. <3

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.