Is it Fibromalgia?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, this is my first post on here and I'm hoping someone can advise us or shed some light on whats going on. For 2 years my husband has been having problems with his left outer thigh, primarily from the knee to half way up.  At first it was itchy, then a burning sensation came on whenever he stood or walked for any period of time.  To avoid this he has stopped going out and about and has tried to rest it as much as possible.  This seems to have done the trick and he hasn't had the dreafull burning for some months.  However, he does still have general pain in the same area.  He says it's really hard to discribe but it almost feels like someone has punched him there.  His knee is also painful.  On and off he has sharp painful 'pings' often in the left leg but also all over his body.  He gets lots of muscle spasms that worry him and also hurt, sometimes I can see his thumb, or limb jumping as they can be so violent!  He says that he often feels like all of his muscles ache, like he's over used them even though he hasn't done anything to cause this feeling.  We don't know if this is or could be Fibro or if it's something else altogether, which is why we are asking if anyone is or has had these same sensations and pains.  It's all really getting him down and I hate to see him hurting and avoiding doing things he enjoys just to try and prevent any further pain.

I hope someone can help.

Emma x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

it sounds like alot of sufferes of fibro , but could also be a lot of other things as well.

if its muscles and soft tissues , then i would before trying any thing eles try rubbing magnesium oil in to the whole area , i had twitching and burning sensensations in my legs and restless legs, since i have started using the oil it has ceased ,if my eye starts twitching i dab the oil carefully round the eye and in a couple of days it stops.

if your husband has no ibs or kidney trouble than he could also take a magneisuim supplement plant based one . to speed up the results .

if you want to give it a try let me know . and i will private message u  with trusted seller that i use to get my magneisuim oil . cant do it on this page because they class it as advertising. , regards tina

• Posted

Since I began taking magnesium orally a few months ago,  I find it helps with those awful muscular spasms. Not saying the're gone completely but much less severe
    • Posted

i know i keep telling people but i find it hard to get people to believe me that something so simple often works, i cant use the supplement unfortunatly but i rub the oil in twice a day and it works wonders like you the pain isent totaly gone but so much less and the twitching for me has stopped . so i am happy like yourself with the results . i just wish more people would try it first before taking pills . far enough if it dosent work , but my method is try what is least invasive first .
    • Posted

Thanks Tina, that deffinately sounds like a good idea.  He tried taking oral Magnesium about a year age but wasn't sure if it helped.  But I would like to get some oil to try and see if that helps.  Do you use it regularly or as and when needed? x
    • Posted

Thank you, as I said above he's not sure if it helped befors but a year on it mught be worth trying again.  How long did you take it for before you noticed a difference? x
    • Posted

Hi Emma, I took Tina's advice and have been taking a Magnesium supplement for about a month. I also got a trial bottle of oil from a health shop and Epsoms salts (which also get Magnesium into the system) to use in the bath or a footbath (cheaper than Magnesium flakes). I really have noticed a difference in my energy levels and a reduction in the pain. I am fortunate that don't really suffer from big twitches - only small ones around the eye and sometimes my back.

I am grateful to Tina and others who made the recommendation, and Tina, if you read this, please could you let me know too where you get your oil from. Thanks!

• Posted

hi tigs glad iv managed to help , like i said i spent years searching the alternative market , and spent a fortune doing it, and basicly ,it came down to a little mineral called magneisuim and a few supplements.

i will private message you with were i get my mag oll from . as on this page its often deleated due to being classed as advertising .tina

• Posted

Sorry for delay, Emma. G/Kids keeping me busy!. I'd say i was on them a week when the spasms eased especially the sudden awful cramps in L. .  side of my neck. I take 250mgs daily. I will definitely try the oil as suggested by Tina. Hope you husband is feeling better. Take care , love Karry
  • Posted

I'm real sorry your husband has been having all these issues Emma but my gut feeling says it's probably not Fibromyalgia.. A lot of his symptoms certainly sound like Fibro but he needs to see a Doctor immediately..! 

Im definitely not a doctor but I feel he really needs to sort this out sooner than later..

Best of luck Emma and get back to us when you know what's going on..

Mike 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  DO you mind telling me what makes you think it may not be Fibromalgia?   

Or maybe what you suspect it might be?

It's just that after 2 years of problems he is really worried about what may be causing his problems and I'm running out of ideas os things to try to help him. x

• Posted

Hi Emma has your husband been checked out by a GP? F/M shows up all sorts of problems that sometimes he will think there is something else wrong with him, mostly it is down to a process of illimination with your GP, and can be a long drawn out process. Perseverence with your GP is key. Also check out the uk f/m website there is a mountain of info in there, i hope this helps and feel better soon, blessings
    • Posted

He hasn't been for some time, he tends to avoid the doctors at all costs if possible.  We have been trying trial and error with supplements to try and ease his problems but sometimes things seem to be working and then the problems resurface and we wonder if he was just having a better week! x
    • Posted

Good for your husband I avoid docs too, see my integrative MD in a week or so for my annual check in. I've seen no docs for the FM stuff...it's all trial and error with supps and otc pain meds for me....magnesium is critical and thyroid support is often KEY.

Osteoarthritis is a menace for me too.

• Posted

Hi Emma, i have tried many other therapy's and alternative medicines in the end  only prescribe tablets has worked for me in Tramadol and paracetomel, i manage my own doses, i am well aware of the damage tablets can cause, bad days i just take what i need and good days i don't bother and eating a healthy diet, i do not drink alcohol any more as that seems to flare F/M up. But you have to take into consideration that your husband may not have F/M.  Everyone is different when it comes to F/M and personally it has all been down to trial and error, i even use self hypnosis. blessings james
    • Posted

I can only endorse what James already said..

It's taken me over ten years of trial and error to find what works and helps with my Fibromyalgia symptoms.. We are all very unique human beings and what might work for someone else, may not always work for you..

Also educating myself on how Fibro works, what kind of medicine may help and finding what alternative therapies have been helpful, haven't just happen overnight..

Fibromyalgia is a lifetime illness - it's taken a huge change in lifestyle for me to be able to live a reasonably fulfilling and meaningful life again..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.