Is it going away or never left???

Posted , 8 users are following.

My son and I were diagnosed last Sunday (going on 10 days ago).  He and I were being eaten a live by something for weeks but my husband and daughter have never had any bites or itching...

I finally went to a clinic and was told it was scabies.  I got 2 bottles of permethrin 5% for all of us to start treatment.  That night we all showered and lathered up.  I changes ALL bed sheets and pillow cases and towels.  Went to bed.  Changes sheets and did the whole thing over.  Washed ALL our clothes that we had worn in the last 5 days with hot water and put in dryer.  We were still getting bites.  Finally 4 days later I had enough of still being bit I did another treatment.  It worked for 2 days then seemed to have another flare up.  That night I treated my son again (6 days after the initial treatment) the following day I treated myself for a 3rd time.  Through all this I have continued to change the bed sheets daily and towels and put new ones on each day.  Clothes are NEVER worn twice and washed every 2 days if not daily.   I have gone through an entire wash detergent in a week and then some for the amount of laundry I've done. I've used Lysol on furniture and vacuumed it along with carpets. Here I am day 2 after my third treatment and it seems as though any bumps are potentially where old ones were.  During the day not as itchy and seem hard.  I've read that this can be the bodies way of getting rid of the dead mite etc or are these new bumps?  I only end up retreating if I have found a new "burrow" cause then I know I havn't gotten them all.  Permethrin is the only thing available in my country it seems so I am freaking out that these suckers are just feasting away on my son and I and seems like I'm doing everything I can but it just doesn't seem good enough.  Please help.  Are we winning the battle or are they coming back or never left in the first place?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oh so sorry for your problems. From experience stop treating. Its just post scabies. You have done everything right including treating others in the home with no symptoms. Treat your skin with good oils or lotion, no hot water and it will just go away. Post scabies lasts up to 6 weeks. Re treating only give scabies like symptoms again. Most scabies is killed with one treatment!
    • Posted

Thank you so much. The part that concerned me was it appeared as though I had 2 more burrows on the weekend so I thought they were still active hence my third treatment.  The other things that appear like bites sound like post but the burrows really make me panic that they aren't gone. 

Its just totally feels like they reactivate at night. 

• Posted

Take bleach and clean under your fingernails and the nail beds.  One study showed that the scabies treatments kill the ones on the skin very well, but they can hide under your nails.  Also clean eyeglasses, watches and anything else you contact on a daily basis.  Good luck.
  • Posted

You are WINNING the battle! 

Scabies is probably the worst mite that can possibly infect you, they're terrible but thank God they can be killed with some effort. I had it a few years ago and my whole household got it too. Probably the worst month or 2 I've ever experienced regarding being able to sleep and Stuff. I ended up going with lots of permetherin cream, sulfur soap, clove oil, tea tree oil, and some jergens lotion since this may dry your skin up. Looks like your on the right path though, I advise you force everyone else in your household to do the exact same because they are highly likely to get infected also. Although they may not know it yet since it takes 2-6 weeks to show signs of being infected after they've latched onto you. The bites isn't really what causes the bumps and horrific itching most of the time accept for when they're burrowing, it's actually the dead mites bodies and larva that our skin has a terrible allergic reaction to and where most of the itching comes from, if I remember correctly from what I read about it. So even up to a month and a half after treatment your body may still feel the discomfort and itchiness. But if your potentially infected family goes untreated your all the more likely to catch it again and I know no one who's had it before would take that risk again. Best wishes, keep up the fight looks like your winning, God bless!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your input. My family has all been treated from day one. My daughter and hubby did end up doing a second treatment just in case.  I did 3 and my son 2. We've taken the couch cushions and put in plastic bags. Will be day 3 tomorrow so will take them back out Thursday.  All clothes still only being worn for one day and being washed.  At night starting around now (8:00ish) it just feels as though they "wake up" and I feel like they are crawling again. I usually awake at night real itchy for an hour. Put on a normal cool lotion and can fall back asleep. If needed will take an antihistamine for true relief. When we wake in the morning all is good again (provided we don't see new bumps). 

Thank you for your input. 

• Posted

It's been about four years since I went thru the nightmarish hell of scabies. I would read these discussions about how people have battled scabies for years and I would cry and clean and freak out. One day I'd be okay and think it was over and then I'd see a new burrow and completely lose my mind. I think It took me 4 weeks of aggressive treatment and another 2 weeks of not so aggressive treatment to finally convince myself it was over.  Here's my story. It started with me. Weird crusty rash on my torso and under my upper arms. Dr says it scabies. Gives me permethrin and says apply it to my body but not my face and head. Same goes for husband and kids. Wash clothes, sheets, blankets in hot water. Vacuum floors, couch, etc.  Retreat in a week and should be good. After about a week and half I was still seeing new burrows and then I started seeing them on my kids. That's when I started researching scabies and found these discussions. The more I read the more depressed and hopeless I felt but if I hadn't then I wouldn't have been so aggressive with my treatment. I read somewhere to take a bath in borax or dawn dish liquid. So that's what we did. Every night for 3 weeks I would sit in the tub in borax with the water as hot as I could stand it and I'd lather up with dawn. Trust me, until those mites are dead and gone it will burn. Also, I found that applying absorbine jr to live mites burns. So if you want to test your burrows that's a good way to know. I did give my kids a bath in borax and use the dawn but not every night and I didn't use scalding hot water. They only had a few burrows. I had them much worse. We used paper towels to dry off and I immediately threw them in the outside trash. I closed off their bedrooms and they were not allowed to play with stuffed animals or anything that couldn't be wiped off.  I vacuumed my mattress and sprayed Lysol on it then covered it with a plastic mattress cover. Same for pillows. Every morning I threw the bed clothes into wash with hot hot water and dried them. Same goes for the clothes we wore each day. After they were asleep for the night, vacuumed and everything that was touched was wiped with Lysol wipes. Anything and everything that was touched was cleaned. I vacuumed the couch every night even though we rarely sat on it. Then I would sprinkle borax on it and let it sit until the next day. I wiped down the car every night and everything in my office at work that I touched. I sprinkled borax in our shoes at night and then I sprayed them with Lysol before putting them on every day. Since I couldn't wash everything every night because there were not enough hours in the day, I bagged up throw pillows, blankets, jackets, anything that could've been contaminated and I kept it in a garbage bag until I thought we were in the clear (3-4 weeks).  Eliminating places and things was the only way I could keep up. My kids were 3 & 5 and it was difficult but not impossible. Now as for the permethrin, I reapplied every 3 days for 2 weeks. I applied to my face, scalp, ears, every external area. I think it's true that the permethrin makes your skin itch. After 2 weeks, I just did the borax, dawn and absorbine jr for a week and I started feeling better. Less itchy and I could tell that the amount of burrows were less and less. I continued to wash, clean and vacuum every night. So just to be sure I applied the permethrin one more time and continued the borax, dawn, and applied absorbine jr to every burrow to see if it burned. It took 4 weeks. Then for the next 2 weeks I used the dawn in the shower, took a borax bath occasionally and tested any area that I thought was suspicious. Then I decided to stop driving myself crazy and go back to normal life. We were scabies free but I was still paranoid for months after. They will go away. I'm not sure if you have to be as aggressive as I was to get rid of scabies but I did not want to take any chances. My advice, get aggressive. Think everything that you touch can cause reifestation.  Good luck! 

• Posted

I just went through this the past 6 weeks. It was the worst nightmare of my life. I would rather die than go through that ever again. 60 dollars for two applications of permethine 05 % did nothing but make the mites mad. Got no sleep, could not eat, i thought I was going to lose my mind. I lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks. Got it from hugging a friend who got it from her dog before giving it to me. I ended up mixing my own cream and applied it to my whole body every day for 8 days. Never got sick from my mixture that consisted of  one third vasoline, one third, cocoa butter, one third desitine diaper rash ointment and 2 cap fulls of happy jack kennel dip. It is 17 % permathine compared to .05 % of dr prescribed permathine which did nothing for me but make the mite mad and aggressive. The rash covered 60 % of my body because i was mis diagnosed by my dr and it gave the mite a 2 week head start. I kept moisturizing my body with cocoa butter several times a day because the permathine dries your skin. Permathine is an insectiside and what I did im not suggesting it for any one else. Just sharing my story and my thoughts and prayers for everyone with this horrific disease are with you. Dont give up. Be persistant with your treatment. Be agressive with it because these mites are very aggressive with eating you alive. Wash your clothes you wear every day along with your bedding and anything your body comes in contact with. Do this until you are recovered from this disease. You can survive this. I just did and I thank God for it. 

• Posted

if it doesnt work get ivermectin my mites were resistant to the permithirin. Also good to know the creams dont treat the eggs. Let the eggs hatch, (2-4 days) then grow. It's tough because the creams kill the mites by paralysing the nervous system which they dont have until they morph 4-5 stages into adults. so the trick is to do the second treatment after the eggs hatch , when they are just adults and before they mate again. This will end the cycle.

The only thing that worked for me was the ivermectin from the doctor I was so relieved when I got those pills. They brought an end to a three month nightmare.

• Posted

I got the ivermectin from our local coop which is for horses. I divided the entire syringe of ivermectin into 6 servings. I took it once ever 3 days as well as apply my home made  permethrin from mixing happy jack kennel dip and cocoa butter and vitamins E cream and tea tree oil.  After 3 weeks of this aggressive treatment, my nightmare has come to an end, I never thought I'd be willing to take horse wormer and dip myself with dog kennel dip, but this was the worst experience of my entire life. My body was covered in these mites by 65%. My arms, upper thighs, shins, bends of my knees, my back my front, rists , hands and chest and neck were covered in red raised itchy rashes. A very unpleasant sight to see. All healed up thanks to the information shared on this blog by caring people who have walked several miles in my shoes, and understood my pain and suffering and helped me recover. God bless all of you.

• Posted

Yay Carol!! So happy for you they are gone! I had a severe case too as my immune system was run down. I'm glad the ivermectin worked - I got it from the doctors here but I'm so glad you were able to access it and end the horror. Take care xo

• Posted

My GP [ who is very good] has told me that these treatments can take as long as a month to take affect! do not scratch the itch

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.