Is it good to walk while my blood pressure is high?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is it good to walk while my blood pressure is high, currently I am reading 150/95 and taking Amlodipine 5mg daily.  

I want to walk, but I need to make sure if it is safe to walk while my pressure is high?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Well I am told that walking brings the reading down you best check with your gp does it ever come down below that  reading?
  • Posted

I was told by the gp to stop going to the gym when mine was high. I also am taking Amlodipine 5mg for 3months now. Would love to start the gym again but it scares me a bit now not sure what I should be doing
  • Posted

I checked with my GP when I was 145/95,  he told me if I am not feeling dizziness,  I can walk a bit.   

I  did walk 1.5km today,  and feeling ok ☺

• Posted

Hi. My readings were similar to yours and I took it upon myself to walk briskly for 30mins every day. I combined this with diet and other "life style" changes. See my thread called Lifestyle Changes to lower BP. Please be careful though, it is always best to get the OK from your GP first.
  • Posted

That's not high compared to many of us here! Is that reading your daily average or your high for the day.

When my hypetension was first found it was 210/110. They did various tests that day but said thsat my BP was too high to do a stress ECG with me on the treadmill.

They gave me  Amlodipine  and Atenolol and said to come back in four days.It was then 168/80 and I did the treadmill test.

Now fourteen years later if I considered your level to be high I would never go anywhere. This morning it was 168/91 at 3.30 after being out walking, shopping and dragging a heavy shopping trolley home it was 119/57 My daily average over the month is usually 149/77

Exercise and sexercise are good for you.

• Posted

👍Like & agree to your suggestions "Exercise and sexercise are good for you." 
  • Posted

Yes its the worry and the fear of putting it up that actually puts it up you know...It goes down after excercise because 30 mins get rid of the stress and we feel amazing  
  • Posted

Exercise will lower BP  I've always understood. Brisk walking not overdoing it or anything.

• Posted

Keeps your heart healthy too, better than sitting around thinking about it - you'll feel so much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.