Is it Guillain-Barré? Or another Motor Neuron Syndrome?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I'm going to my doctors this morning, but yesterday I got a funny turn, my right leg went a kind of heavy sensation, weak feeling. It happened in my left arm too but not as much. It stopped later on that night, still felt a little weird, had aching and a burning sensation in it, but not this morning.

I had this dead leg feeling (not literally like dragging it around) in the past week or so. I'm freaking out about this as I had a bacterial/flu infection back at the beginning of March.

I read on Google that that is how Guillain-Barré can start.

I've been bawling crying over this all night and now going doctors about it.

I'm 30 yr old female, Hypothyroid (medicated), suffer with severe anxiety and depression, have a sedentary lifestyle as I work at home on my computer, never drank, never smoked. I also have PCOS.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

More info on me: I don't have any children. I've also been getting a tender left shoulder blade and back left ribs, shoulder blade cracks and pops too.

• Posted

Update: Just seen my doctor who examined my leg, used that tapping thing, my leg literally jumped out when she tapped on the right knee.

She said it could be a pinched nerve from sitting all the time and my posture as well. I'm still a little upset, and still feeling a little distressed as well. But I gave her a piece of paper and all I was feeling, symptoms and the things I was worried about including Guillain-Barré Syndrome. So, yeah, not sure if I should feel relaxed or relieved or what?

• Posted

I am sorry you are having anxiety about this but it sounds norhing like motor neuron at all. If it were you would not be able to move your arm as much and it wouldn't resolve itself it would stay heavy always. Guillan Barre would have tingling and numbness. You may have thoracic outlet syndrome. I would suggest a chiropractor to see if you get some relief. Other testing needs to be done MRI of spine. Your reflex could have been from the anxiety. They are often hyper when you are and that can be normal. Hope you take something for the anxiety. Try to relax and do some yoga since you said you are sedentary exercise will help you feel better.

• Posted

Hi, thank for replying. I seen my doctor today who examined me, made me do movement exercises, did that tapping thing on the knees, and my right knee completely sprung up when she did lol! Anyway, she said it sounded like a pinched nerve from the way I'm sitting all day, and my posture, she didn't suggest an MRI, but should I go back over and ask for one?

I took a beta blocker today (propranolol), I'm also as my other doctor did to put my mind at ease about my heart, got me an appointment to get a heart monitor for 24hrs.

You see, I was at the doctors 3 times this week, first with chest pains and my shoulder pain, then again about my short of breath thing, palpitations, he did an ECG and oximeter and physical examination with a stethoscope, said all was fine.

My doctor who I seen today, asked me several questions, like lower back pain, I gave her the piece of paper with my symptoms and what feared, including worrying about the likes of spinal cancers and stuff.

Should I have asked for an MRI? I'm confused on what smi should do now, she put my mind at ease about that thing I was worrying about and other motor Neuron disease things, but I don't know, I just feel like my mind is exploding with thoughts at the moment.

• Posted

So about two months ago my left arm went numb had tinglingly on my left side face arm ect get a fullness in my head above my ear to my Temple I also have PCOS and my job is like yours I had MRI CT of head and cspine shows mild disk bulge and a pinched nerve this makes my anxiety high

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.