Is it hormones?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 50. Have not had a period for 5 years. Recently I have had panic attacks. Always around same time of month. I'm sure it's hormones but doctor says it can't be.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ah, what does he know! I'm 57 and there is still some kind of monthly(ish) cycle going on. Haven't had a period in years but still get spots every 4-5 weeks and low, nagging 'stomach' pains at a similar rate. Your hormones are powerful things, they don't just go away!

• Posted

Hi. I've had every test going and everything is good except for the fact I hate everyone and have panic attacks. I'm looking for a new doctor who cares enough to recognize what I say is true. I appreciate your comments. I convince myself I'm dying on a weekly basis.

• Posted

Hormones are definitely related to why we have panic attacks, I was going through menopause when I had ovaries due to family history, shortly after I had a really bad panic attack out of the blue, most definitely due to reduction in hormones it is all connected x
    • Posted

Hi. It makes me very angry that my doctor just brushed it off and he actually told me it can't be hormones because my estrogen has come and gone! Thanks for responding. It really helps me to know my hormones are playing havoc and I'm not just crazy.

• Posted

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Please find another Dr. They don't realize what we go through and don't care. There are some good ones out there. Definitely related to hormones. I had horrible panic attacks on my late teens, early 20's. They went away until I hit perimenopause. Tell me it's not related...

• Posted

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Please find another Dr. They don't realize what we go through and don't care. There are some good ones out there. Definitely related to hormones. I had horrible panic attacks on my late teens, early 20's. They went away until I hit perimenopause. Tell me it's not related...

• Posted

It is definitely related Lotti. I had panic attacks in my late 20's and didn't have them again until menopause. I even read somewhere that if you had panic attacks or anxiety before menopause, you are more likely to have them during peri and menopause. That doctor can take a flying leap, he has no idea what he's talking about.

• Posted

Shelly, change doctors. Unfortunately you may have to change a few times before you find just the right one. It was very ignorant of him to make a blanket statement like that. "Your hormones have come and gone". My sister is 66 and still occasionally feel like she's having fathom cramps. Everyone is different. I'm 57, I stopped having a period in 2010 but I didn't start having menopause symptoms until 2014. If he would bother to read, he would know that panic attacks are a common symptom of menopause. Be careful of some women docs too. Sometimes they are just as bad or worse than the male docs. Hang in there and God bless!

• Posted

Thank you so much. Means a lot. I know I need a new doctor. He's very well liked in our town and is the head of all doctors at our hospital. It's almost impossible to get another doctor around here male or female but just knowing panic attacks are normal is a weight lifted from me. Thanks again . Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.