Is it improving or am I imagining it? Week 9

Posted , 2 users are following.

My husband started prozac 10mg for five days then upped to 20 mg for six weeks. After than he did 30mg for five days and is has been on 40mg for the past week.

So that's nine weeks and change on prozac.

In the first 10 days he seemed not be affected either way but then he proceeded to sleep something like 14-16 hours a day. Brain fog, no energy, night sweats. A definite spike in anxietyand depression. Frequent panic attacks (he used to get them anyway, but not as much). Before his dose was upped to 30 ad 40 I thought maybe, just maybe, something was starting to happen. He started to seem more even.

Now I am seeing the same really small changes that are giving me a little bit of hope. In these past couple of days he went for walks (he hadn't managed to leave the house). He wants us to check out a gym together. A couple of days ago he said that when he woke up he felt good, but that faded as fast as it appeared.

What did recovery look like for you? Was it small things like this? I've read this forums and relied on them and I know it can take so very long. But I'd love it if people who eventually went in remission and have been on prozac can look at this and tell me if improvement looked anything like this.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

recovery can be very small steps & can be interspaced with some dark times. Both of you should recognize & celebrate these brief moments as they will increase & enlarge. This morning I as sat on the sofa afraid to go out of the house; lunchtime I was at an event & spoke to more than 30 people & even did an impromptu presentation to 50 customers. View what had happened as a positive step forward

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I didn't know if, not being the one trying Prozac myself, I would get on people's nerves just by posting.

As far as victories go, well done in being able to have such an afternoon. It would be stressful for anyone.

I'll take the small victories. It's taking so very, very long that sometimes I find myself doubting there's light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

mental health impacts not just on the individual suffering, but those around them, so its not a problem. little successes are important & they will get longer & more often. I had a good afternoon yesterday, but have been anxious for all day today, but I know ill feel better again and again. There is light at the end of the tunnel for all of us, stay strong R

• Posted

Hello Roxy,

How have you been feeling? I came here because I remembered something my psychiatrist had told me ages ago when I was put on antidepressants for a year which was that it's not in feelings but in behaviors that you first notice ad/s working. Feelings eventually catch up but for a while you just realise you have started doing things in every day life that would have been impossible.

• Posted

thanks for the feedback. Ive noticed the last week Im more emotional; I cry more, but also laugh at my anxiety. Feelings like hunger, being hot/cold still trigger my anxiety, but I'm beginning to notice them and cope better. Thanks again Rxx

• Posted

Hello. Knowing how much user reviews count for people starting out and waiting for the meds to work I wanted to post an update.

We're now at well over 13 weeks and, with the psychiatrist's guidance my husband is tapering off. Starting week 2 prozac exacerbated his anxiety and depression but, differently to many people, this never really stopped. He just got worse. The suspicion is that my husband is bipolar 2 though which might be why he had responded so well to the olanzapine.

I wish everyone reading this the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.