is it just anxiety? im only 12

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I'm only 12 and I have health anxiety I am so scared coz I think I'm gonna die from secondary drowning as I went swimming earlier and inhaled some water I'm actually so scared and I cant tell my parents as they would just say that I'm being silly please help me thank you (sorry I this is in the wrong place) xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How are you feeling at the moment?
    • Posted

I've been feeling fine but I suddenly remembered about dying and stuff and it just made me worried that I might die I my sleep because of inhaling water
    • Posted

If your feeling fine at the moment I would try and relax and do something to take your mind off worrying. If you start to feel unwell I would tell your parents just so they know you are not well and then they can watch out for you.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, I'm 14 and this has happened to me before but in primary. What you want to do now is relax and see if there is anything wrong like breathing wise if you are breathing irregularly, or if you are feeling nauseous. I would suggest you do some research and if anything unusual is found tell your parents. Take care!xx
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte, you're not being silly. Health anxiety is very real but honestly please try not to worry as you really will be fine. When you 'inhale' water your body has a mechanism to stop it entering your lungs. Your throat closes temporarily and that's why you cough and splutter if you get water up your nose or your drink goes down the wrong way. So you didn't actually get any water in your lungs and there is no way that you could possibly die from secondary drowning sweetheart. Your throat may feel a little uncomfortable but there's nothing that can hurt you.

It's really good you came to this forum as I think keeping these feelings locked inside is worse. Perhaps in time you will feel comfortable talking to your parents about it. My anxiety issues started in my mid teens and although they sometimes found it hard to understand, my parents were incredibly supportive.

You're a young girl with you whole life ahead of you. Please try to focus on the bright future ahead and enjoy being young. See your friends, climb trees, do whatever makes you happy. Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.