Is it just PID & BV?? Help!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya, I'm a 20 year old female who has just been diagnosed with PID, I have had an ongoing history over the past year of symptoms that have just got worse, ie: abdominal pain, abnormal discharge with a distinctive smell, constipation, blood when passing stools and also spotting between periods. I finally went to my local sexual health clinic after being treated for thrush several times and was diagnosed with bacterial vaginiosis as well as PID. A internal examination took place as well as swabs, blood tests and a urine sample. I'm currently on antibiotics to treat the infections, however, I was under the assumption the PID was caused by an untreated STI, since then I have received my results which have all come back negative? Is there any other cause for the PID? Could it be something else? And also, potentially how bad will the damage be? I've asked my GP, but it's not been too helpful & I'm very worried. I would appreciate any help or advice.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi amber 

Oh bless you hun .. It sounds very confusing ..

maybe it is not PID .. After all.. If it is negative to an STI..

when i was younger i was told i had PID .. And i didnt ..happily married and with kids, and no sti .... It baffled me too.. 

I just had an infection that the anitbiotics sorted .. It wasnt PID and no damage was caused either..

maybe its more to do with the BV .. 

so try not to worry..

BV is not an STI .. Thats bad bacteria build up and again antibiotics will sort that, but keep eye on it as i had it recently and a month later it returned so needed treatment again.. Its all fine now..

eco care vaginal ph testers x 15 from amazon are good to have as you can test you ph levels yourself, if they are 4 - 4.5 then you will know the BV has gone ..

Also take a good probiotic daily to keep good bacteria, anti biotics also kill the good bacteria as well as the bad ..

Wish you luck hun, try not to worry ..

your Doc sounds horrible not to reassure you, see another Doc .

jay x

• Posted

Useful info .. BV 

Bacterial Vaginosis

Bacterial vaginosis is a mild infection of the vagina caused by bacteria. Normally, there are a lot of "good" bacteria and some "bad" bacteria in the vagina.

The good types help control the growth of the bad types.

In women with bacterial vaginosis, the balance is upset.

There are not enough good bacteria and too many bad bacteria.

Bacterial vaginosis is usually a mild problem that may go away on its own in a few days.

But it can lead to more serious problems.

So it's a good idea to see your doctor and get treatment.

Experts are not sure what causes the bacteria in the vagina to get out of balance. But certain things make it more likely to happen. Your risk of getting bacterial vaginosis is higher if you:

Have more than one sex partner or have a new sex partner.

Douche.

You may be able to avoid bacterial vaginosis if you limit your number of sex partners and don't douche or smoke.

Bacterial vaginosis is more common in women who are sexually active. But it can occur if you are not sexually active as well.

The most common symptom is a smelly vaginal discharge.

It may look grayish white or yellow.

A sign of bacterial vaginosis can be a "fishy" smell, which may be worse after sex.

About half of women who have bacterial vaginosis do not notice any symptoms.

Many things can cause abnormal vaginal discharge, including some sexually transmitted infections (STIs). See your doctor so you can be tested and get the right treatment.

Doctors diagnose bacterial vaginosis by asking about the symptoms, doing a pelvic exam, and taking a sample of the vaginal discharge.

The sample can be tested to find out if you have bacterial vaginosis.

Bacterial vaginosis usually does not cause other health problems. But in some cases it can lead to serious problems.

If you have it when you are pregnant, it increases the risk of miscarriage, early (preterm) delivery, and uterine infection after pregnancy.

If you have it when you have a pelvic procedure such as a cesarean section, an abortion, or a hysterectomy, you are more likely to get a pelvic infection.

If you have it and you are exposed to a sexually transmitted infection (including HIV), you are more likely to catch the infection.

• Posted

am a 24 year old female diagnosed with pid. ive been on med ciprofloxacin doxycycline and flagyl for 3 weeks and recently been feeling nauseous. my doctor initially asked me to take dem for 3months then recently he said i should stop. 

please am confused on how to take the med correctly.   i was diagnosed with salpingitis and hydrosalpinx chronic pid

• Posted

am a 24 year old female diagnosed with pid. ive been on med ciprofloxacin doxycycline and flagyl for 3 weeks and recently been feeling nauseous. my doctor initially asked me to take dem for 3months then recently he said i should stop. 

please am confused on how to take the med correctly.   i was diagnosed with salpingitis and hydrosalpinx chronic pid

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.