Is it just temporary trauma or PTSD

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have searched online on how to understand if someone is suffering from initial depression or is this the stage of PTSD? Many forums suggest or give advice on various types of therapies. However can anybody help me with any self check or no therapy forums where I can gauge or understand if its PTSD or not?

Any experts here who have experienced similar issue or any professional expertise available

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi Abigail, i have PTSD and not just depression. if you suffer from nightmares, flashbacks, intrusive thoughts and self doubt, anger, tears, shakes, terror then it's very likely you have PTSD. depression can come as the result of this, i had self harmed for years, would not tolerate touch, couldn't cope with sex etc. i have some good days and some are awful! if you p.m me and explain what you're experiencing i can tell you if you have PTSD type symptoms or not. i was told to hold in multiple assault for years, it just hurts so deeply.

• Edited

Hey Sam,

Thanks for the helping hand. I hope you are fine and feel better than before.

This is my cousin who has been suffering from depression and has been undergoing therapy for the last 3 years now.

Relationship abuse and prolonged domestic violence for 8-10 years has made her a different personality altogether. Post that I enrolled her for therapy sessions which has been successful for her. Her Psychologist and Psychiatrist have helped her a lot in these few years , however her suicidal behaviour has suddenly increased in the last 6 months. Not sleeping, shouting, screeching and feeling unwanted is something I see in her. In this pandemic situation she is in Seattle with her parents , however things aren't good at all. She recently harmed herself (I'm not sharing this as it is not good to share here). For change of environment and freedom, I have asked her parents to get her to stay at my place as we both share a good bonding since childhood. One of her friends recommended further counselling and it was observed that she must be having PTSD symptoms in her.

I researched on PTSD and she herself volunteered for an online check in this pandemic, however I am not sure whether this would help her cause.

• Posted

oh Abigail, it's an awful post to read! your poor cousin, i just don't know what to suggest. the definition of ptsd is: a traumatic event from the past that plays over and over in your mind'. it sounds like that's what your poor cousin is enduring! she obviously needs support and quickly, you can either go through her GP or go to a counselling service. i suggest if this is abuse she tries some sort of well being service. if this is sexual abuse then try rape crisis maybe? i do hope the poor girl gets the support she needs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.