Is it likely that a thirteen-year-old with "streaks" of blood in their stools would have cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is ulcerative colitis more likely, or something else? Other "symptoms" are abdominal pains, and pieces of undigested foods in stools.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The first thing you should do is to see a GP to arrange tests. The last thing you should do is worry! Could be as simple as piles!
  • Posted

I forgot to mention that I had IBD for many years and I was in the same situation. As a young man I was about 15 years old when I started having issues, but it took a full blown flare up before being diagnosed and that didn't happen until I was 37 years old. Over the years I had bad cramping pain and blood off and on in my stools. I had many colonoscopies done and the doctor kept saying that they found an area of irritation, but they never did a tissue biopsy. If they had I would have known that I had IBD many years earlier. It could be something else, like a bacterial infection, but it needs to be checked out soon as blood in the stools is never a normal thing. I doubt it would be cancer though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.