Is it LPR or something worse? Scared to death!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, I'm a 19 year old male and extremely worried.

I have had constant swallowing problems for 4 months now and I am getting to the end of my tether. 

The swallowing issues are combined with a constant need to clear my throat. I can describe the swallowing to you. I go to swallow and get halfway through the motion and then nothing happens until I force myself to complete the rest of the swallow. This only happens about 25% of the time. The other 75% it seems to be slightly strained but that's it.

I had an ENT appointment about a month ago and he had a look down and said that he could see some inflammation and prescribed omeprazole for three months. He said nothing else, so I don't know what he thinks I have. 

All I have in my head is I am dying. This swallowing problem is the beginning of the end for me. My main worry is ALS and I can't shake it. 

Does this sound like LPR to anybody - this is what I've decided I have?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do u smoke or drink heavily if you do stop.

Try OTC Omeprazole and Zantac take them at different times during the day. Take Zantac at bedtime 45 mins before meals

Raise the head of your bed 6 inches put something under the mattress pillows won't work. Sweetd caffeine soda junk food sweets make it worse. Try not to eat 3 hours before u go to bed. If u smoke stopping will probably get rid of symptoms.

If ur smoking something else stop. Do not lay down after u eat drinking water is ok

do not over do it. Try a soft diet stay away from citrus fruits. U mite just have acid reflux. Good luck don't freak out

• Posted

No I don't smoke at all nor do I drink heavily. 
    • Posted

Chewing gum is a good idea it makes

more akaline acid and helps neutralize the burning acid. Put the head of your bed up with books or blocks. It is good u do not smoke. Did u start taking any new meds. Aleve Advil and aspirin can cause your symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Wakefield:  I don't know why you would jump to such a conclusion.  According to the ALS website, the ones most at risk are between 40 and 70, have served in the military, or have family members with ALS. 

I don't think any of these apply to you.  Some people have this issue from a birth defect or a pocket that develops later. 

You may want to get a second opinion.  I would suggest that you chew gum between meals.  Find a sugarless one that you like.  Perhaps the constant chewing will not only keep the acid down but also retrain the esophageal  muscles. 

I had a problem many years ago.  I would eat a number of bites of food and it seemed to accumulate in a pocket in my esophagus.  Then I would drink water and it would flush down the lump with a bit of pain.  This occurred in my twenties, I am now 58 and have not had that problem since then.

I do know that worrying about a problem can cause more stomach acid production.  I would not jump to conclusions.

Let me know if you try the gum chewing therapy and if it helps.

• Posted

I have very bad throat problems because of LPR and GERD. Swith to Lansoprazole right away. Twcie a day with Zantac. That should start to help. Change your diet. No more acidic foods or drinks. Rais the head of your bed. I've been dealing with this since I was 26. 
    • Posted

Gee there is an echo on this forum

LOL. Since the ENT didn't see anything it is lower down in the esophagus. Have you been exercising strenuously or changed

to a different type of exercise.

• Posted

No I haven't. My main concern is the swallowing issue.
    • Posted

Lansoprazole is Prevacid. He is already doing Omeprazole which is Prilosec. They are practically identical and came out at the same time. But I would talk to your physician if u should change PPI or increase the dosage because he told you not to take anything else. It may not be a bad idea to quit but he may have a reason for telling u to stay on Omeprazole. You don't want to change treatment when ur at a crisis phase u need to get to see a GI doc

since the ENT isn't impressed but tell him it isn't working.

• Posted

is the food going down or is it just sore when u swallow. Is it getting stuck like u have to cough back up.

Acid reflux can make u feel like u have a lump in your throat when u

swallow it is part of the burning from

the acid. You might need to have a Endoscopy called an EGD or a Barium Swallow which is am X-ray where u drink dye they look at your esophagus on X-ray as u swallow the X-ray dye with a straw then they move you all over on the table and have u swallow more dye. Go back to one of your doctors

• Posted

I have no pain when I swallow. Sometimes it feels like the food gets stuck in my throat. I am constantly clearing my throat also. 
    • Posted

As long as the food goes down and

ur not coughing it back up

then I would not be to concerned

Do not drink any carbonated beverages. When people have reflux

they tell u not to drink soda it isn't

just the sugar and the caffeine it is

the carbonation. It can make more gas and it has sodium and more

gas can cause more reflux it will

hurt if u have inflammation.

• Posted

U can always go see a GI dr.

What does your family dr think is going

on.

• Posted

They thought it could be some sort of reflux. I was sent to ENT and they said that they could see some inflamattion and prescribed three months worth of omeprazole to take twice a day. 
  • Posted

Hi wakefiedl;  I have read others' comments, but am thinking that you still have your worries.   It is probable very likely that you could have what is called LPR, which as you probably know is the term for: "inflammation of the back of the throat" due to the  acid flowing all the way up your Oesophagus, in to the back of your throat"....hence the inflammation of your throat.

As for your worries re ALS, if you still feel this worry, ask for a second ENT and ?another Endoscopy; there is another type that can go all the way down, through your stomach, into the smaller intestine.  The other diagnostic test would be a Barium Swallow...(.it tastes like chalk )   but does give a very good picture of what is happening while you swallow.

Please don't feel that you are dying, as you are young, and if there is anything sinister there, there are many good doctors, and treatments available.   You do need to go back to your GP and discuss your worries, and tell him/her that you Really want more explorative tests, as you are not getting better, and are still very concerned....the sooner the better for your mental state.......we are all with you in this, so please keep in contact, and let us know how you get on; but we can't give you answers, as we are not doctors, only people who are here to give you support.    smile  Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.