Is it MD or ETD or something else???

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all, I am basically trying figure out if I have MD or not. I have seen two ENTs and I have done every test that I am aware of and all came back ok. I have been told it is BPPV. so here are my symptoms and when it started

-summer of 2007 got the first vertigo, didn't how long it lasts but afterwards felt very lightheaded, balance was off and went on and off for about 3 months. and saw ENT at Toronto University Hospital did all the tests and all came ok and he said was maybe Hydrop which I had no idea what Hydrop was at the time.

-2015, turn my head left while waking up and boom spinning and vomiting. last about a minute but i have to rest on my right side as the left side of my head made it worst. Saw ENT who did all the test everything came back ok and he said I have BPPV due to the fact the my dizziness was due to head movement and all my test was ok. I have also been notice that one of my nose is always block.

2018- started feeling a bit off has I was getting a lots lightheaded back in November 2017 and after I had a short flight from Toronto to Boston, I notice I have was feeling uncomfortable and I had to close as my Eyes as the plane was climbing. When I was returning from Boston to Toronto, I got really dizzy when I was looking through the windows as I am a window guy when I fly. the lightheaded was on and off until March where it got worst. I was lying down watch my tablet with my neck bend towards the left and boom spinning and it went for two weeks but the vertigo always lasted less than 30 seconds and always seem to be when i turn towards the left. it is now gone but I get a little bit of feeling as if I am going to get dizzy but nothing. I don't take a meds. my ears feel as it is full on and off in my left ear and I have tinnitus in my right hear but now hearing lost in my right ear since I started checking three years ago and the hearing is normal but Im deaf in my left ear from Accident I had as a kid. I saw a second ENT two weeks ago and after listening to for about half an hour, he said I have BPPV. I'm just trying to figure out if my symptoms are in line with MD. And I have been having crazy headaches at times that only Tylenol Sinus can help with it. And also have a problem with my neck, C5 and C6 wondering if that have anything to do with the vertigo. or maybe ETD

Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ask for a caloric test- which they will put warm and cold water or air in both ears.  If it causes vertigo it is Menieres Disease.  Also have a hearing and balance test.  If it’s BPPV there are exercises that you can do to help.  It may well be coming from your neck also.  They should also rule out if any issues with a MRI.  

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Willow, I have done those tests already they were all ok and that is how the I was diagnose with BPPV.

Thanks for replying

• Posted

Definitely check for some stretching exercises for your neck and shoulders. If your meridians (your energy and blood circulation) are blocked, not enough blood flow and oxygen to your head and neck area can cause dizziness. Of course, you should probably get some tests done like Willow4 is suggesting. 

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Arax, what you are saying might explain why get the feeling that I am not getting enough oxygen to my head and feel like passing out. Right now I am waiting for MRI of the neck which is in September.

Regards

• Posted

You have described your symptoms as if describing mine!

After consultations and scans, audio tests it was decided that it is Menieres.

I visited a Chiropractor who “clicked” my neck into place a few years ago but need to go again.

i have been permanently dizzy the last few weeks and my husband noted that it seems to be worse at this time of year. ? allergies?

• Posted

I have a feeling my neck is playing a roll in my case since both ents said I have BPPV and the fact that my causes me a lots of pain and stiffs up.
  • Posted

Hi Mark,

I have a suggestion for you. I do have MD and with the last attack my tinnitus was out of control. I also had some vertigo off and on. I was so frustrated with doctors telling me there was nothing really to help. I was recommended to look into Nucca chiropractor by a family member (National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association). It appears to be pretty specialized so they are not easy to find. I researched it and found a great one not too far from my home. It has been amazing what a difference it has made for me. The tinnitus has lessened and I have not had vertigo since the treatment. 

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you Luz, I have came across the NUCCA and I have researched it a lot. I have it on my list of possible cause since two ent's are telling me I have BPPV. I have MRI of the neck and head coming up in September and base of the outcome I will decide to go see a chiropractor. I must I have been a lots neck cracking, pain, and shoulder pain lately. Actually I have them for a very long time but never really thought about it as the cause of my problem until recently when I learn about upper cervical vertigo. I have some out recover fully from my last attack. Keeping my fingers cross.

Regards

Mark

• Posted

I went to a chiropractor and explained my situation but he said a referral letter from doctor is required before the treatment and when I went to doctor, he clearly said there is no benefit of going to the chiropractor, they will only massage your neck and shoulder and that would not fix anything, he refused to give me a referral.
    • Posted

Also try the half somersault manoeuvre, find it on YouTube. 

If it’s bppv it should help, I tried it before I saw a consultant but unfortunately didn’t work as mine wasn’t bppv.

Makes you feel a bit funny but if you’re at the stage I am you’ll do anything. 

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.