Is it me or my medication?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Amlodipine 5mg daily for the past 4 weeks and seemed to be fine initially having previously had side effects from taking Lorcanidipine from the same family as the Amlodipine. 2 weeks in, there was no change to my BP despite also taking Perindopril 8mg. Two weeks in I have started suffering with oedematous legs and am permanently feeling nauseated and I am having hot flushes and feeling clammy and sweaty numerous times a day on top of my normal menopausal symptoms of hot flushes and might sweats and this despite splitting my 5mg daily dose into two 2.5mg doses morning and evening on the advice of my pharmacist. I am at my wits end as, although my BP is now coming down the nausea and other side effects persist, within 45 minutes of taking the Amlodipine I begin to feel sick and am not able to function very well. I am disabled in any case which brings about its own issues. Sorry for the length of this post but even though I used to be a nurse I need help with the way forward in order to get some quality in my life.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Amlodipine is well known for causing fluid around the ankles/feet. Many people, myself included, can go a long time without side effects and then they suddenly start.

Ask for an alternative medication. Calcium channel blokcers are very good at keeping BP in check, but there are different types.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, My GP tried me on Lorcanidipine first and warned me about the oedematous ankles but failed to mention the same side effects this time round despite me already taking diuretics for the mild swelling in my ankles and feet that I ready suffer from. I will make another appointment to see him ASAP to see what other Calcium Channel Blockers he can suggest. It looks as if it will be a case of trial and error ☺️.
  • Posted

Milled flax seed beet juice, beet pills, garlic, cinnomon
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, I use gain a fair bit in my cooking anyway and eat multi-seeded bread, but when I go shopping next I'll get some beetroot juice and cinnamon from the supermarket and look for beetroot pills and ground flax seed in my local Health Food Shop and see how I go with that. I think another trip to my GP is on the cards too.

• Posted

The start of the last reply should have read garlic not gain, isn't predictive text a wonderful thing? 🤔

• Posted

Hi, it turned out to be the Amlodipine for me as well. As, RHGB, mentioned in their reply the side effects also creeped up on me.  When I first started taking Amlodipine, I thought I could take it on an empty stomach like my diuretic but eventually discovered it was making me extremely sick all over on an empty stomach. I just recently discovered that it was causing digestive issues and discomfort primarily on the left side of my body (not realizing that my stomach is located under my left breast).  The stomach gas made me feel like I was having a heart attack.  Long story short, it was not my heart for which I am very thankful but my stomach issues continued because I did not realize it could possibly be the amlodipine.  I stopped taking the amlodipine cold turkey (not recommending this for anyone but it worked out for me) and most of the side effects subsided so I contacted my PCP who changed my prescription to Lisinopril 5mg.  So far so good, but my goal is to eventually get off meds because over time they all seem to have side effects.  ...hope this helps and that you feel better soon. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. Having someone else who has had the same side effects that I have. I've tried taking the Amlodipine before food (the same as I have to do with the Perindopril 8mg. which I also take), with food and after food, none of which improves the nausea, I've even split the dose but that hasn't helped either. I'll make an appointment to see my GP to see how I move forward with possibly trying a third Calcium Channel Blocker and maybe an anti-emetic to see if it will help with my nausea. Ironically my BP has come down while taking the Amlodipine 🤔. Watch this space for a post about what happens next ??.

• Posted

Ok. I will be watching.  ...hoping you find something better that works. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.