is it migraine

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi. first time posting so apoligies if this is long.

was diagnosed last year as having migraine with aura. started off with numbness all down my neck and left arm, confusion at times and the very odd headache. woke one morning and thought i was having a stroke... i was confused , completly numb and disorentatied. went to A&E and was admitted for 5 days of tests and scans.

i had a MRI brain scan, MRI neck scan, CT brain scan, chest xrays, neck Xrays and every imaginable blood test you could imagine. all negative and clear, except for neck MRI showing a slight bulge in the c6/c7 disc but not impinging on any nerves.

so after seeing the neuroligist i was sent home with the diagnosis of migraine with aura and givin a 6 month prescription for amitrypiline.

after researching the amitripiloine i decided not to take it , as i didnt feel that the rare headaches i was getting were bad and as i have a young child with some medical issues i needed to be alert at night in case he needed me.

since june i was being suffering with a constant headache, on my left side, and when its bad it goes right in behinde my eyes and across my forehead. it was coming and going but its been constant for the last few days and im wondering if this is really migraine.im also suffering from regular panic attack lately . does migraine last persistantly for days or weeks, should the aura symptoms not disapper when there is no headache.... i am so scared that there is something else going on even though all tests were clear.... thinking of going to GP and maybe trying the amitrypile but from researching it seems that preventitive medication is hit or miss and usually comes with side effects.....

not really sure if im looking for advice or just to offload as this is strating to effect my day to day life....

cc

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The tablets may work but for me they didnt they just made me kinda spaced out, youve nothing to lose really its par for the course being given them, ive had about 10 differing varients of tablets none work.

​One question, does Imigram or a triptan take it away ? i have chronic daily headache that can turn into Migraine i take Imigran almost daily and at present i get headache in my sleep. weird. Ive gone cold turkey but nothing happened i still got them, mines kinda genetic so im trying to learn to love with it. working at home helps.

​What annoys me is ive had no MRIs CTs nothing but after 24years on it i think im pretty clear of anything sinister..

Hope you find a cure hun its an awful thing.

• Posted

hi. not sure what imigran or triptan are but regular over the counter medication does ease it but i get myself so worked up that im panicking constantly..... working from home is not an option as i work with special needs children and need to be alert , im afraid that amitrypiline will leave me spaced out in work and at home.. have made an app for this afternoon with my gp as i really cant go on any longer... my head is pounding as i write this. thanks for the reply.
  • Posted

Ok im surprised youve been given Amatrip and the doctor hasnt give you anything for the actuall pain. So im unsure where you live Ciara but in the UK the tablet that can be bought over the counter is Imigran Recovery its not cheap but its sumatriptan basically, its what 99 percent of us Migrainers use as the tablet to get rid of the pain, what you have from your doctor is a preventatviove thats taken daily.

Paracetomol Ibuprifen and codine for me are a waste of time dont bother.

See your pharmacist for imigran or sumitriptan like Imigran give it a whirl and see if it kills your pain, if so go back to your doctor as ask for some monthly, im taking between 6 and 12 a month...

• Posted

Hi. Im in ireland so not sure if thats available here but will definitly ask. So.went to gp and she thinks that.i now have chronic daily headache, sshe suggested trying the amitriptyline for a short time to see if it breaks the cycle... i am at the stage id agree to.anything.just to.feel normal... this is actually effecting me mentally aswell as.physically now
  • Posted

Hi Ciara,

So sorry to learn of your migraines with aura.  Talk to your neurologist with any questions.....I have had daily migraines and pressure headaches for 14 years now and am at my wits end.  Have tried every remedy imaginable.  Today I saw a new neurologist who put me on Topamax and said any change would be slow in coming.  Thanks a lot!  I think you would do well to read up on migraines--several patients in this forum have found amitriptyline to be helpful, as well as the Topamax which I have just been prescribed.  Every medication has side effects.  Every medication works differently for different people.  I would suggest trying the amitriptyline and discontinuing it if you don't like the results.  There are many other options out there.  If you don't jump into the pool you don't get wet, or....you have to try something to know if it will work.  Good luck to you and your child.  One day at a time.....

• Posted

thanks mrcia, i have resigned myself to the fact that i have to try medication but this really upsets me as myself and my partner are trying to concieve our second baby and obviously i cant be taking amitrypline while trying to concieve so we have had to take a break from that until i get sorted... my only other option is to grin and bare the every day pain and symptoms but i dont know if i can face that.... how do you deal with daily headaches for 14 yrs... i feel for you . thats terrible
    • Posted

Ciara, any family doctor or neurologist will tell you there are a TON of medicines out there. You dont' have to take anything you don't want to. For someone in your position and knowing the side effects of both amtiriptaline and topomax and that you want to be alert for your child, do not take either of those. You can talk to your pharmacist and ask for similar medications without the dizzy, confused, balance issue, grogginess issues and then go to your gp with a list of alternatives. That is sometimes faster than saying no to a drug, being perscribed another and then going back to your doctor for yet another.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.