Is it migraine , if so can I get a stroke and die from it? Any med a divise ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone on the migraine forum 

can you please advise me can migraines give you a stroke and die ? 

After reading a lot of the discussions in the migraine forum , I've realised I've been suffering from migraine since 2005sad(((((((((

i have a lot of tolerance as I don't like taking medication of any sort I like to do self help treatments such as breathing meditation yoga listening to soothing classical music etc . 

Anyway one one other thing is my migraine comes and goes now and again when it comes it's either on the right or the left temple - throbbing pain as though one of my veins or blood vessels is going to burst out and I can't look at daylight or any light it really hurts and my eyes water slightly and feel heavy I then have to sleep in a dark quiet room on the opposite side it where it's hurting because I feel I'm putting pressure on the side where it's throbbing and it can't take it . So I have to sleep on the opposite side to make it feel as though the weight of the pain comes down ( weird) then eventually it will lighten after 8-9 hours or longer sometimes . Is this really what migraines feel like ? 

Also so I read magnesium works , as I'm getting older I'm finding it hard to cope with the pain probably a little medication may help instead of suffering the way I am . 

Thank you you for reading please advise 

kind regards 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

From what you say of your symptoms this is maybe cluster headache, a varient of migraine.

But to answer your question can you get a stroke from this condition, in my experience and from talking to my neurologist about the same thing, the answer is no, however I am only a sufferer like yourself and not a dr, so you should really consider MRI scans and a full consultation with a neurologist.

Magnesium can help, if indeed you are defficient in the mineral, if not, it probably wont help, bit worth a try.

Hope this helps, good luck

• Posted

Oh also, the best med to stop this, so I researched and have been told by my neurologist, is sumatriptan injection, like an epipen, brand name Imigran.  Preventative meds include, verapamil, gabapentin and pregabalin to name a few.  Codeine and drugs like this will make it worse
    • Posted

I am confused by your user name.  It was Nebie 007 now its Anna 1978.  Just an observation :-)
    • Posted

Hi 

Thank you for your advise , yes I just changed my profile name . Whilst I was online earlier as ppl find it easier to adress by name . 

Regards 

• Posted

Hello Anna1978

Nice to see you in a manner of speaking on here , also personal20 who i have to say offers great straight forward advice ... Been away from the forum Migraine now there is a surprise ... Plus new people opening disscussions on this subject wish i could find a away to link every one together on on forum to join in a mass support network any ideas personal20. Your thoughts are reflected as mine would have been a MRI would detect any complications regarding your Head pain , and i believe from what you are relating on here it sounds pretty much along the lines of a Cluster Head Pain . But as personal20 stated were not medical trained . Keep us up dated kind thoughts x

• Posted

Hi,

had some thoughts on how the site can link all the headache discussions on one page and that is by having miniture versions of the individual users, so when you click on them they expand, so you can exchange a message with that person.  Of course we get an email sent to us when we have a message to read, but when we are on the site, it would be good to just click on an icon that expands into the messages we are having with that person.

What about that idea?

• Posted

Thats sound a really good idea , could you talk me set up step by step i am not afraid to admit i am no expert when it comes to technology but i do my best x Thank You  as eva personal20
  • Posted

Sounds like you are doing the right things. I had the same concern about stroke.

Many of the severe migraine symptoms mimic stroke symptoms. I have even had paralysis and numbness on one side of my body but nothing shows on MRIs, CAT scans, etc. so diagnosis is migraine and yes, they are debilitating but I feel less fearful about stroke now.

There are different forms of magnesium some of which are less absorbable. I switched over to 400 mg magnesium glycinate which seems to be helping. Meditation is also helpful - clearing the mind of thoughts. I have also been doing neurofeedback sessions which they say help retrain the brain to help reduce migraines.

You will get thru this. Keep trying different things and changing the way you think about stuff and you will see a difference. Blessings to you, Anna.

• Posted

Hello,

i asked my doctor this question lasr week and she reassured me, No, so please don't worry because worrying and stress will only trigger another migraine. Hope this helps.

• Posted

i myself speaking as a long term migraine sufferer i took a migraine 5 weeks ago which my vision left my right eye after  being treated at emergency department for normal migraine it was found out from a ct and mri that i have actually had a thunder clap migraine resulting in stroke on my optical lobe. now i will stress that this is very rare. the consultants looking to my lifestyle and i met none of normal factors like high blood pressure, smoker etc my treatment now for migraines is codenine and parcetamol that works along side my medication ive now been prescribed because of stroke. i stress to you that this migraine was not like my normal systoms so i new something was not right. but i ressure you im a lady in my 30 and i not going to die im fighting back at this illness xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.