Is it my gall bladder?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all,  

ive been struggling with right side abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting for a little over three weeks.  It started suddenly and was so intense my doctor sent me to the er for appendicitis. They did a CT ( which made me terribly ill) and an internal ultrasound and came up negative so sent me home.

the pain continued and I couldn't eat so I went back to doctor, they said they didn't know but referred me to a GI.  They GI did a HPylori test same day and scheduled an ultrasound.  When I went in for that the tech told me that it was my gall bladder that hurt when she pushed on it but the scan showed 'nothing suspicious'.  

I then had a colonoscopy and endoscopy which just showed an inflamed stomach.  I am now waiting on a HIDA Scan to be scheduled.

meanwhile, I can't eat anything without terrible pain or nausea or both.  In a day I'll have one cup of coffee with almond milk, a small piece of toast for lunch and maybe another for dinner. I tried ensure yesterday and the pain was very strong and made me cry.  I've lost 12 lbs over the last few weeks and am just miserable.  I don't know what to do. 

I tried to work on Wednesday morning and after 2 hours the pain was just overwhelming, I was sweating and struggled to drive myself home ( I am a photographer so it's fairly physical). 

Thoughts,  ideas on how/what to eat? I know I'm getting malnourished, my legs are cramping a lot and I'm breathless and have chest pain quite a bit now.  I'd really love to at least find something to give me nutrients that doesn't give me pain alongside. 

TIA

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have or have had a gallstone stuck in your bike duct. Typical symptoms you're expressing. Eat little and often and try to work out if the pain starts late after your dinner. If so reschedule your meals. Go low fat and avoid greasy, spicy fatty foods. I was told leg cramps was due to magnesium deficiency in the blood. When you get leg cramps put your leg out straight and bring your ankle towards you. I hope it helps. Jo

• Posted

Should read BILE duct!!! lol
    • Posted

Most of what I've read said avoid fatty and greasy foods but I get pain eating literally anything at all! I had a few sips of a greens smoothie this morning....no way.  I've tried white rice and still no.  I can't find anything to tolerate except for toast. I had 2 pieces this morning and the felt so full I felt like I was suffocating and actually had to get out of a shower afterwards because I couldn't breathe.

• Posted

I was the same i had to live on yogurt and porridge and lost 2 stone. I found bread wasbthe worse and jacket potatoes which is weird because the fat content is very low.

I made a food diary and i never ate anything processed back to basics of fresh food once i started trying to eat normally again.

They gave me codiene for the pain and laxo with it because of the constipation issues with codiene.

You could try progressive muscle training for the leg cramps and chest pain , its easy to do in bed before you start your day.. you can find guided ones on the net .

Hope you get sorted soon xx

• Posted

So sorry you're suffering with this!  Has the GI doc done a liver panel blood test?  They need to make sure that your liver and/or pancreas aren't being stressed by all this.  

You should also know that several people on this site were told by doctors that ultrasounds and CT scans showed nothing suspicious but they eventually had their gallbladders removed.  Don't try to tough it out!  Keep going to A&E, or go to another A&E if you can't get any help. 

If you go on line, you can find the FODMAP list of nonirritating foods to try.  Keep to small, fat free meals, frequently.  Don't try vitamins or supplements because if it is your gallbladder your liver's already stressed. Check the fat content of everything you eat and drink.  Finally, coffee really stimulates your liver.  So, I'd suggest water and tea.

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you get on.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.