is it normal for a 17 year old to have a resting pulse of around 90-110?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm 17 and I've always had quite a rapid pulse throughout my life. 2 years ago I went to the doctors about this problem because I was becoming increasingly concerned about it. I got an ECG done and the doctor said it looked fine but however referred me to the cardiology unit in the nearest hospital. I had some tests done and everything seemed to be okay but my pulse was very rapid.

I do believe that I suffer from anxiety and was wondering if anxiety can cause a rapid pulse even when resting? could it be something serious? I have had some palpitations recently and my resting pulse is around 90-110. The more I focus on it, the more I worry/get paranoid. I have read that having a constant rapid pulse can increase the chances of sudden cardiac death and heart attacks, I just need a rational perspective on the subject or someone else's opinion

Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Sorry you are having a horrible time. I really would take reassurance from the fact that you had these symptoms when you had your ECG and tests at the cardiology unit  and if there had been anything amiss it would certainly have been picked up. You could always request a further ECG and blood tests if this would put your mind at rest but anxiety could be a major factor here and it most certainly can cause a rapid pulse even when you are resting or asleep. Perhaps you could try cutting down on coffee, etc as some people are very sensitive to caffeine and this can increase the pulse. Books by Dr. Claire Weekes are very helpful and explain the physical symptoms resulting from anxiety. "Self Help for your Nerves" is the best one and you can get it from Amazon. Please try not to worry, difficult I know, but I'm sure you are fine and no harm will come to you. Work on the anxiety and the rest will sort itself out and have a chat with your GP, you will feel better after that.  All the best, you will be fine.

Bess.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Bess, all I needed was some reassurancce. I've ordered that book and I shall see if it helps. I don't particularily drink much coffee, I mainly drink green tea. But seriously, I can't thank you enough! I'm feeling a lot calmer now smile
    • Posted

Hello again, I was interested to see that you generally drink green tea. Green tea is caffeinated and is associated with increased heart rate and anxiety in some people. It increases metabolic rate which is why it is an ingredient  in some over the counter weight loss tablets. I used to drink green tea some years ago and noticed that I was losing weight and my heart rate was increased so I stopped. If you Google green tea and increased heart rate you might find this interesting. Its good that you were checked out by a cardiologist, they would have picked up any heart defect on echocardiogram etc. If your anxiety/increased heart rate continues ask your doctor if a betablocker tablet would help as this will calm your heart rate and that in itself will help to ease your concerns. 

All the best

Bess.

• Posted

If you Google Beating the Blues you will find links to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy a computerised course that you can do at home. It is approved by NICE and used by the NHS for anxiety and depression. It is available on the NHS.

It is also approved by the FDA in America.  I read about it some years ago and was so impressed that I bought some shares in the company at 1/2p each! They are volatile and sometimes go up to 1.5p. 

• Posted

I had that all my life and finally at age 39 I found out I had a congenital heart defect.

I assume you've probably had all the necessary tests to rule such a thing out, if 

not , you should.  Of course sometimes a person who might be prone to anxiety

could also have a rapid heart rate at times.  But I wouldn't think it would be con-

tinual.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.