Is it normal for symptoms to disappear over night and then reappear at random times?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have asthma, a dust allergy and hay fever so I can never tell where my symptoms are coming from. Around this time of year I start getting all the expected symptoms like sneezing, running nose, itching eyes. The weird and pretty annoying thing is that this just happens at random times during the day, and not every day. It is as if something sets it off and then my symptoms don't go away until I go to sleep, despite having some medication. The next day it is likely that I will feel fine, even better than I did before the symptoms started the day before. It is very tiring and stressful.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Allergy is a very variable illness. Allergy creates inflammation in the nostrils, sinuses, (effects the ears) and lungs. Pollen reactions normally peak in the evening when the pollen drops to earth as the sun sets, for instance, but it will depend on the weather. When the peak drops your suffering should ease. i.e. when it gets dark.

Reactions are also cummulative, so if you have a reaction to mites then the pollen reaction can build upon it. There are many other factors than can influence your reactions including the amount of allergens in the air, such as pollen.  Pollution, such as diesel in the air. Heat can increase the  inflammation/cold reduce it etc.

It is complicated science working out when reactions are likely to occur.

Allergy cannot really be described as a random reaction because it will have a clear cause. If you go to coast, for instance, your suffering should improve. The curse of it is that it can be 'unseen' illness because you cannot always see what causes it. i.e. pollen/pollution in the air

The concern that I possess is your reference to tirdeness. I am unclear of whether you are referring to physical tiredness, but if you asthma is controlled then this should not be happening to you.

You should check that you are taking all your medication properly. It is a common mistake with all suffers. I have had allergic problems for years and sometimes I need to check how I should take it, because applying sprays are easy to get wrong.

Knowing the cause of your allergy only allows you to avoid it, but it may also result in you discovering that you react to other things also. Keeping a diary is good way of working out what is causing your problems.

The positive is that you problems, including your asthma, should clear over time.

Howard

• Posted

Hi Howard

sorry for not replying, I have two dogs but have had a blood test which said I am not allergic to do dander. But there are other things around the house that it could be so will have a go at changes a few things to see if that helps.

thanks for your advice and information.

sally

• Posted

Hi Sally

I am confident that your histamine levels are high because of tree pollen.

Seasonal reactions normally relate to pollens.

Any nasal reaction should effect your lungs if you have asthma.

I would advise you to get a book on allergy/asthma, because you need to understand the condition to control it.

Howard

• Posted

Hi Sally,

It could be that something in your household is setting off your allergies. Do you have any pets for example? Do you often leave windows open? Dust in the house or even pollen on your clothing from being out during the day, which is left lying around the house can set you off at unexpected times so it could be worth making a few simple changes to your home to help decrease the symptoms if you feel the medication isnt doing enough.

Any steroid containing remedies have to be used repeatedly over an extended period of time to have any noticeable effect so have you considered trying different medication, or something like Prevalin or Haymax as preventative measures?

I hope this information is of use to you

Mistrys

• Posted

Sally has not reponded to my reply. I do not intend to go into detail. Her health problems are hers, not mine.

You may be interested to learn that the most important support for allergic suffering, which is advised by allergists, is nasal irrigation, salt sinus rinse.

This is becuase it moistens the tissue and cleans the nostrils. It is safe.

It best used early the morning and also after the pollen episodes.I

Howard

• Posted

I have been used "Entrelief's products" for leaving  rhinitis which is the most advanced is the sigh of relief items. The special spray bottle in the kit, practically locked carrying bags containing xylitol can respond to all your needs with a unique nasal wash product.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.