Is it normal to be farting *all the time*?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I pass gas constantly, and have no control over it. Every few seconds, I feel a little bit of air coming out. After a while, the smell builds up. The smell's not _terrible_, but it's noticeable and embarassing.

This is making me terrified of ever leaving my room. I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow, but before I go - is this normal? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Note: this happens regardless of what I eat. From the moment I wake up, until I go to sleep. I've tried eliminating various things from my diet, but nothing makes any difference.

• Posted

Have you eliminated cabbage, broccoli, Brussels Sprouts and baked beans from your diet?  These vegetables are very gassy.  I have IBS and fart a lot, particularly after eating.  However, in my case, a particular food doesn't trigger it.

• Posted

Perhaps ask your doctor if there are any anti gas medications if food elimination has not worked.
    • Posted

She's given me some peppermint tablets, which don't seem to be doing much, but maybe I just need to wait for them to take effect. Thanks anyway smile

• Posted

Peppermint doesn't work for me either.  You will probably have to try several medications to find one that suits.

• Posted

I've got a follow-up in a couple of weeks, so if nothing changes I'll ask her if I can try something different.

Really hope this gets sorted...at the moment I'm terrified of anything that involves sharing a room with another person. It's really affecting the quality of my life.

• Posted

To be honest, passing gas doesn't really embarrass me too much.  I don't worry what others think because if my body reacts that way, people will just have to accept me as I am.  If they get annoyed, that's their problem.  My dad makes irritated faces at me but other people just treat it as a joke and laugh with me which is fine because that's the way I see it.

Although IBS is a very unwelcome guest, I have learned to manage and put up with it and it doesn't affect my life greatly.

• Posted

That's a good attitude to have. I'll try to adopt it myself, although it just smells *so* bad it's hard to pretend it's not there..

• Posted

Maybe use an air freshener and walk into the mist when you spray it.
  • Posted

Very typical of IBS. This was my main symptom at first. The low FODMAP diet really helped. And make sure you aren't constipated as this will make it worse.

• Posted

Thanks. I tried a low FODMAP diet, but nothing changed, unfortunately.

I'm not constipated - I probably defecate 3 times a day. The problem is what happens between those defecations. Air just keeps coming out.

• Posted

I have totally the same problem as yours. Fart all day long, anytime anywhere, which is really embarrassing. I've tried peppermint, but it makes me diarrhea. So I stopped it but still have no idea how to control the farts.

• Posted

Try avoiding fizzy drinks and gassy vegetables like brussels sprouts, broccoli and cabbage.
  • Posted

I think I read anywhere between 10 to 15 farts a day are normal. I currently have an undiagnosed bowel issue and one of my symptoms is excessive gas I must Farr between 40/50 times per day at first it was embarrassing but I'm used to it now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.