Is it normal to be in bed all day?

Posted , 4 users are following.

For around a year now i have been in my bed for the whole day except for when i go to the shops and etc, sometimes i do go out with my friends but its only a couple times a month at least, I'm only 14 years old and i have been diagnosed with social anxiety, i could be out with my friends but i just cant be bothered, i mean its not like i hate being around them but i just feel uncomfortable and constantly on edge around everyone (even my family) i feel like they are constantly judging me and talking about me behind my back, mostly people will even have certain looks on their faces that make me feel like they think I'm weird or there is something wrong with me so I spend most of my time upstairs in my room, i would like to hang out more with my friends but i think I'd just make things weird between everyone especially since when i was really upset like a few months ago i said some stuff i wish i hadn't and i left one of my friends without thinking about how they would feel

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Teabecca

i have this also, social anxiety can be difficult to manage, when i feel like this, i let everyone else do the talking and just prefer to listen. it gets better with age plus once your out of school etc, you get a better chance to find like minded people. its not good to stay in bed all day though, try and keep your mind productive by pursuing your interests and maybe consider talking to a cbt (cognative behavioural therapist) they can help you just through talking and also coping strategies

• Posted

Hi I got some news for you my love - you are simply not important enough for others to be constantly monitoring or judging your behaviour. They are much too busy with their own lives and doings to consider yours. Why do you think they would want to spend so much time and effort on you? Do you think about others a lot and keep judging them? No of course you don't and neither do they trust me!.

The worst thing you can do is hide yourself away and stay in bed. Are you going to do this for the rest of your life? The longer you do it for the longer it will take for you to start feeling more comfortable around people, so start doing a few small things and take it slowly but it is very important you do this. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.