Is it normal to experience prolonged pain in specific areas?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Everyone

I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for about 2 years now and normally I've experience random pain in any part of my body for only a day or two at a time, that can come and go. Lately however, I have had pain in my right shoulder and left elbow that seem to be very prolonged and almost constant. The pain in my right shoulder is an achy, pulled muscle type pain that hurts more when I move and has been going on for a couple of weeks now. The pain in my left elbow is similar to the shoulder pain although it generally has a sharper feel to it and has been gong on a lot longer, probably a couple of months. The pains aren't crippling and are manageable, they are just there and cause quite a bit of discomfort. On top of this I do feel like my generally health as declined somewhat and I just don't feel as well as I normally do, especially my digestive system. All my vital signs look good and I know my doctor will say that this is all part of Fibromyalgia, but I was just wondering if any fellow Fibromyalgia sufferers experience similar to what I am going through at the moment.

I would be grateful for any comments, and hearing any of your experiences of Fibromyalgia. Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, so sorry to hear you are struggling...

Just to say, I was diagnosed 3 years ago, although I think I have had it much longer. My understanding is that a lot of pain we experience is due to a chemical imbalance/our central nervous system going into random mode. So, weird pains, in random areas would be understandable...but like you, I have constant pain in my upper back/shoulder area, and sorry to say, it just doesn't go away, it really is 24/7. Have had x-rays to show, that pain in upper spine/neck is osteoarthritis, the pain just below that area that is just as bad, isn't....Can't really get my head around it?

However, the pain in other joints eg elbow, is definitely arthritis. I know it is all a bit messy, but from my perspective, the pain from arthritis and the pain from fibromyalgia seem exactly the same...it is just an x-ray that says yay or nay. Neither option is great. So, for what it is worth, it might be worth getting some X rays for your troublesome joint, at least pain relief works for arthritis, (at least some of the time)...again just to say, all the topical warming gels, heat lamps and for me, a plug in shiatsu back massager, all help...

With all good wishes and best of luck..

x

• Posted

Hi @sarah29978 I know your post is a little old now but I was just wondering when you say your upper back pain is constant 24/7 what sort of pain do you encounter? Is it only when you move or do you feel a sense of pain when you're at rest too? I have pain in my back almost constantly but it doesn't feel like a muscular pain which only hurts on movement, it is like a dull ache which is constantly there

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Sorry to hear you are struggling. Am afraid to say, that the pain I get in my upper back is the same during the night as it is during the day - a dull, nagging, 'hurts to move' kind of ache. If you have ever had a 'frozen shoulder' it feels like that but all the time and over my whole upper right back/shoulder/neck. I am dealing with it a bit better now and am learning to pace myself....but it's hard. Really sorry I can't give you a magic bullet but I can wish you all the very best. Take care.

• Posted

Prolonged pain, specifically in the shoulders can be indicative of Polymylgia, also hips and buttocks and general stiffness. One of the biggest pointers is alot of pain and severe stiffness when turning in bed. Fibro can be present along with Polymylgia and whereas there are no tests for Fibro there are better indicators with Polymylgia, a simple blood test to see if your CRP, specifically, and ESR levels are elevated. If elevated and there's any question about Polymylgia, your doctor could try you on an short dose of approx 15mg Prednisone (steroid) and if there's a quick reaction, generally a few hours, to the level of pain, that, more than anything points to Polymylgia. Worth a try, if there's no reaction then worth trying other avenues, but on past experience I think it's worth exploring.

• Posted

Thank you both for your comments and your advice.

It is something that I will be investigating further with both of your suggestions of X-rays and blood tests, just have to try and convince my doctor to refer me for testing and hope that he doesn't just put it down to one of those Fibromyalgia type things, as I have been told time and time again before.

Many thanks again, I do appreciate your comments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.