Is it normal to faint after getting up?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just got up from my chair a minute ago, I wasnt tired or anything but when I got up I stretched my arms a bit and started to feel dizzy. I know this happens to everyone sometimes but this time I started to feel dizzier and dizzier and my vision started to blur. Suddenly everything went black and I could hear noises of me falling and my phone falling off my hand and feel my head and arms hitting my table and then the floor. I didnt have any control over my body at the time and I had just fallen on the floor. Afterwards I was extremely confused and still cant believe that just happened so randomly. Luckily I didnt get hurt or anything but is this something I should worry about? Also, I just ate a good meal like 2 hours ago so my blood sugars couldnt have been that low either.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi jeemeli 

Firstly dont overly worry yourself but it would probably be a goo idea to go and see a doctor about what has happened. It isnt definate that there is an underlying problem but if there is then you'll want to get it diagnosed as soon as possible.

I'm not a professional so this is only from personal experience. This sounds extremely similar to some symptoms of POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) This is a condition i have and the first time i became properly aware of it was after a fainting spell very similar to the one you described. My vision went fuzzy and then black, i could hear and feel myself falling onto the toilet lid in the bathroom but i had no control over my body. After this i went to the doctors and after a few visits and an ECG (heart trace) i was diagnosed with pots. The symptoms come up most commonly after changin position from lying down/sitting to sitting/standing quickly. 

I have made some lifestyle changes that are recommended that have helped the sympoms but i still become dizzy and loose balance/loose some of my vision when changing position or stretching, even if my arms are not above my heart. 

It isnt as much to do with blood sugar as blood pressure and the autonomic nervous system not properly reactingto your changes in position so it can happen despite having eaten well recently. This condition is most common in young females (i am f,17)

I would suggest seeing a doctor for a proffesional opinion, but i hope this helps smile 

• Posted

hi, get a ecg and echo done at the least to rule out heart problems , then push for a tilt table test for autonomic dysfunction , could also be a problem with your hormones(glands) but get others checked first 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.