Is it normal to feel depressed after the ESA assesment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I had my first was assesment on Friday there. The first one I had to be sent home as I was ill had to go to hospital. But still turned up. They rearranged. I had it on Friday. And yet again I was ill. But was determined to do it. I felt totally interogated. I have been depressed from it. It opened up all my fears. I have a prolapses spine and I am having toilet issues. I have a disc protusion. My nerve is abutted by my s1 l5. I suffer with anxiety and suicidal tendenses. But that interview has opened up my dark thoughts. I was totally interrogated. Even tho I had a letter from doctor to say I'm not fit for work.she made it sound as if it was a bad thing. She didn't like me from the start. I can't walk or sit without being in major pain. I have been referred to the pain clinic and I have to go for pain councelling. See because she was so hard on me does that mean I have failed. I never want to go through that again . I am on so much medication it's making me drowsy and dizzy

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola.

I'm sorry the assessor made you feel this way. And it doesn't mean you've failed your assessment. Did you have all your medical evidence with you + did you make sure she had copies of them. When you get your letter or call to say what the outcome is. If it's not what you expected. Ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment which show the descriptures and points for each awarded.

If you haven't scored the points you need. Eithet ring asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration. Ir you can download the form. Remember to ask for the MR in writing when you send the form off. Stating the reason you not happy with the original outcome.

Good luck.

• Posted

I had all my evidence and letter from doctor. She took a copy of it all. But made feel awful. Took panic attacks in the room. But feeling depressed since
    • Posted

You just hang in there Nicola. Fingers crossed everything will be ok. XxX
  • Posted

Hi Nicola,

yes it's perfectly normal to feel this way after any assessment. This is because you're telling them about your life and how it is daily, most people find this extremely difficult.

Unfortunately even though your GP says you're unfit for work, if the DWP say you're fit for work then what your GP thinks doesn't matter. Hopefully for you the DWP will think the same and a decision will go in your favour.

The assesser being hard on you doesn't really mean anything. With ESA you're assessed on the ability to do any type of work and it's about what you can do not what you can't do. As Bobby adviced do ring the DWP and ask for a copy of the report. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as mostly they go with that report. Having a copy of this will also be handy if they find you fit for work and you have to go down the MR route.

Hopefully a decision won't be too long. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Denise. Just a waiting game now. How long does it take usually ?
    • Posted

You're welcome. There's no time scales to any decisions, it all depends on the backlog in your area. I always find ESA decisions tend to take longer than PIP ones. Hopefully not too long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.