Is it normal to feel like I'm going backwards?

Posted , 7 users are following.

15 weeks now on 20mg and at around week 11 I was feeling good. For the last 2 weeks I've felt like I'm relapsing. Wake up every morning with a sticky knot in my stomach which gives me circling thoughts which in turn makes my head spin/brain fog. Spoke to my gp and she wants to up my dose to 30mg which I'm a bit reluctant to do. If this is a blip should it have gone by now? It's coming up to the time of year where we want to be going places and enjoying ourselves but it's so hard at the moment to think clearly

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi John, is this your first time on citralopram? have you had blips before? is there anything else that could have caused extra anxiety? its a bit of a vicious circle...when you get that yucky physical feeling it creates more anxiety....I am 5 months in on various doses and am currently back to 20mg as the 30 and 40mg were not settling. It is different for everyone though and you may benefit from dose increase. What about trying 25mg?

• Posted

ive been on varying doses from 10, currently on 40 mg, have had much improvement over the 5 months, but always have blips, currently having one now, they are unpleasant but pass .

• Posted

First time on it and I've had blips but they usually only last a few days. I'm going to try 25mg and see how that pans out, I just thought I was getting better and now feel like I'm back to square one unfortunately

• Posted

I find accepting it and not fighting it makes to easier. Read posts by Katecogs. She has a great insight into this illness....Unfortunately its not a quick fix and patience is vital. I also use meditation. Again its a learning process and daily practice over weeks and months helps. All the best, keep going

• Posted

i wouldnt increase just yet. blip lengths can vary. increasing did not help me at all and actually made me feel more drugged and tired all the time. my advice is to try and power through when you can and rest when you need to. do you have any benzo you can take during the worst of it?

• Posted

I don't have anything else to take. Its not so much that I can't cope it's just I hate how I feel at times especially when most of it went away. I just don't understand why it's come back

• Posted

it's just a blip. increasing again chances are you will get to the same stage you are now and still blip on a higher dose aswell. they are all part of recovery x it will pass given time x

can I ask how long until you started to feel improvement on 20mg? x

• Posted

I started to feel better at around 8 weeks. Went on holiday and it was a struggle but I managed to cope. By 10 to 11 weeks my brain fog had gone and I felt good. Think that's why this blip has got to me more as I was doing so well

• Posted

HI John,

Lou has said it all. It took me several months to level out. it was a roller coaster ride. I'm on

10 mg for 1 yr 10 months. Hang in there. Keep a journal to look back and see your

journey. It helps to walk or work out. Cut caffeine out.

Will 😃

• Posted

I must admit coffee seems to put me more on edge!

• Posted

Well I have bitten the bullet and I'm now taking 25mg. I've been taking the extra 5mg for around a week now and so far I feel more at ease. Whether it was just the blip coming to an end or the extra dose helping I don't know but either way I feel a lot more positive going forward now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.