Is it normal to have a raised PSA 3 mths after biopsy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi can anyone out there tell me if it’s normal to have raised PSA 3 months after a Transperineal Biopsy. 

I have low risk none aggressive prostrate cancer and my template biopsy which was my second biopsy shows no sign of cancer however my PSA levels have risen which has left me concerned that maybe the docs have missed something. 

Comments appreciated 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

PSA's have been known to have false negatives and false positives.

• Posted

I’ve read that usually PSA levels should not be checked for up to five weeks after a biopsy as they are expected to rise due to the procedure however I am 13 weeks after and wondered if any fellow men out there who have had a template biopsy noticed a rise in psa levels and at what stage it started to settle down .
  • Posted

Hi!

In my case PSAs and biopsies without a prior MRI or PET scans was pretty useless for PCa detection.  An early six hit biopsy via the rectum (transrectal ultrasound-guided) was clear and my PSAs never went above 3.8. Once 3+4 PCa was MRI detected a 20 hit biopsy confirmed the two MRI indicated cancers the other 18 were clear. They never know how many hits to take. A massive number may detect cancer that was never going to affect life or lifestyle but promote action that will. Too few means nothing. I bled for two weeks after both biopsies and had concern about the blood from the two cancer hits causing the PCa to spread. They say this cannot happen but the only internet article I could find on it based their conclusion on a study of a different cancer and only used survival time as a guage. Like everything about the prostate there is so much they don’t know but are not backward to push you to some action that may not be necessarily the best for you. People keep using the excuse “we are all different”. I think it is only the stage of the complaint and what we want for ourselves that matters. With prostates you can’t rely on anyone like we do for other issues. Always do your own research and ask questions here.

• Posted

Fortunately all of my 22 biopsy samples taken were cancer free so I felt confident that it was unlikely that anything had spread , infact , pre biopsy I had a 20% likelihood of cancer spreading and now  after successfull biopsy results I have a 5% chance of spreading , however , as stated I feel gutted that my PSA has risen after 13 weeks after biopsy as I was thinking my prostrate may have settled down., just hoping it’s not spread and it’s gone up due to the biopsy only being 3 months ago .
    • Posted

Good uros are hard to find, especially to find one thats out for your best interest. Yes never trust a uro has been my experience.. Was that a 3tmri that you had?
    • Posted

Jim, How right your are about finding good Uro's, and when you do find one there will be a waiting list as they are busy people. The one thing I find hard to understand is a Uro can be very blinkered as they only promote the procedure they do, and at times they could be more respected if they said " I advise you to see Mr .....  as his procedure may be best for your case.

• Posted

You would need to specify what your PSA level was and is for anyone to make a comment. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.