Is it normal to have setbacks when taking Lyrica for anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have been on Lyrica since 4 weeks, gradually increasing my dosage and since 1 week on my target dose of 300mg/day. Overall I am quite happy with the results but I guess I need a little reassurance. Is it to be expected to have anxiety blips when on Lyrica? Any (positive) feedback welcome!

Thanks!

xxx Andy

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

its usual to have set backs on any medication for depression / anxiety. you've just got to keep going and focus on your good days... well that's what I do anyway.

good luck

• Posted

High Andy,

This side effect of depression is one that I have suffered, when withdrawing from pregabalin (i.e. I miss some regular dosages).

I only ever mentioned the side-effect, I intend to continue to take pregabalin as it works really well. ##I feel it's best to know what we are taking and if perchance you miss a dose the effects you may feel. In Northern Ireland it is one of the street drugs being bandied about with consequent resulting suicides.

• Posted

Sorry, nothing positive to say. Pregabalin was never meant for Anxiety. It is prescribed off label for Anxiety. It's original use was an anti-Convulsant. Bear this in mind when you have your 'Blips'. You should never stop taking this medication cold turkey because it can cause you to have seizures - it has to be tapered off slowly and carefully. Look at the leaflet accompanying the capsules. Even though you have only been on it for 4 weeks, your CNS and brain and already dependent on it. GP's will tell you that it is not addictive, but you tread a fine line between addiction and dependency as they are one and the same.

If it is helping you, then I shall say no more. If you have side effects, i.e. mental confusion, memory loss and others then think again. I know how anxiety can affect your whole life and those around you and I feel strongly for you. You will no doubt have tried other medications for this and this may be your last hope. I do hope not, and wish you well in the future.

• Posted

ive been on Pregablin for 7 years. i now take 300mg

yes you will have some side effects when you start but my concern is that you have gone on a very high dose very quickly

ive only taken 300mg for the last year.

its a wonder drug for me. i have spine problems and take it for nerve pain

im also on a morphine reduction program of which pregablin helps with some of the withdrawel side effects

im sure your symptoms will fade away once your body gets used to it and what ever you do, do not stop taking it unless you taper

adele

• Posted

High Adele,

I have in fact reduceed my dependancy on pregabalin from 475mg / day to 375mg/day. I agree it is a very sucessful drug (for me also) and I feel that I may in the future (I'm 71) need more medication. I occassionally, when breakthrough pain is needed use co-codamol 15/500

• Posted

Out of interest how long did it take for it effects to take place with you? I have been on 150mg daily for a week now, but had some very light headiness in first 2/3 days, but feel ok at present (though know that might change), but difficult to say if it has kicked in, as still have my heightened nerve responses, though I do feel a bit better mainly has now started exercise and changed my diet.

• Posted

hi andy! how are you finding it now? i was put on it last week for anxiety to help me taper off diazepam however, had to stop after 4 days as the side effects were too much feeling drunk and spaced etc, did you have any side effects when you started?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.