Is it normal to have suicidal thoughts but you are not actually suicidal?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Is it normal to have suicidal thoughts occasionally but not actually be suicidal?

5 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No, It is not normal as I didn't have a thought of sucide ,It's all about your thinking process the way you think comes infront of you.
    • Posted

A significant number progress from thoughts to plans. They need help to carry them safely through. It is best to keep the GP informed from the thoughts stage. For 74 years I thought like you. I have had to change my mind and get a support network to keep me safe. 
  • Posted

I do a lot. More so the feeling of people better off without me. But I would never commit suicide X
    • Posted

With respect I don't think any of us can say that Tilania because we have no idea how we'll feel if our situation worsens or we get more depressed. Things change all the time, including us.

And think about Dignitas, assisted suicide, people use it of whom many probably thought they'd never commit suicide. It's considered to be a respectable and sometimes necessary end to unbearable suffering.

If we claim that we'd never do it are we putting down and disrespecting those those who do? Perhaps thinking we're somehow better and stronger than them?

• Posted

I agree with Georgia. A very few months ago I should have been shocked if anyone suggested I might kill myself. Of course I should not; I had never thought of such a thing. Yet shortly after when in the grip of severe depression suicide was my only pleasurable desire. Happily I never got beyond planning how and I am sorry it ever got that far for I have not forgotten. Now, with pills, my mood has been stablised and once again do not think I should ever kill myself - unless depression got hold of me again.

It is not really oneself that does the killing but the terrible and dangerous disease depression. 

• Posted

That's very true Dod; we're not ourselves when we're depressed and it's very controlling. It is a disease and a misunderstood one because people often say things like 'Look on the bright side' or 'Pull yourself together' but that's unrealistic when your brain is imbalanced chemically or hormonally. It's physical as well as mental.

The scientific community uses the term biopsychosocial because it incorporates the biological, psychological and social factors.

• Posted

what you are going through is called suicidal ideation. i have it from time to time. it can be quite serious. you should look it up. a lot of people misunderstand it. but anyway, it is normal to have suicidal thoughts, once in a while. but when you obsess over it, maybe if you think about it everyday, it is quite stressful. i think you may want to talk to a professional about it. because it could affect your mood. you should want to feel good everyday. dont let this problem ruin your life
  • Posted

Yes it is common, depression is a liar and it tries to make you want to kill yourself. I have borderline Personality disorder and one of the main triats of that is to convince you to kill yourself , often several times a day, it is a constant battle 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.