is it ok to drink with anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, my anxiety as been through the roof the last 5 days, to the point I dont wanna smoke a fag (normally 10 a day) due to tight chest, palpitations etc I've been pretty much stuck in my flat all week. I've been offers to go down the local social club tonight for a couple of beers with friends but I'm scared It will trigger a panic attack but I'm hoping it may relax me as I cant sit still etc.

Any advice guys thanks.

Gary

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I know no one is going to agree with me on this but sometimes a beer is only way I can calm down
    • Posted

Hello,

It's not that I don't agree with you. I do and don't. My anxiety is through the roof and I can't calm down at all, can't sleep etc, can't just switch off and watch TV or something. Having a few drinks just calms me physically and mentally to the point where i can just sit, chill, have a laugh and be normal for a few hours.

The next 2/3 days though my god, it's horrible. It's like a heightened panic state. I struggle doing basic things I am that panicky (I am only 25) It's obviously the drink wish we could get the calming effects without the side effects haha

I am not on medication either.

• Posted

I'm going through the same Thomas! Its been 6 days now and I'm thinking when will it end! Although I must admit my gf as come to stay with me this weekend as eased the symptoms a little. She took me food shopping yesterday I wernt so bad! And took me down the local social club last night I managed 2 hrs in there with some friends, eat a burger had 3/4 of a pint and smoked half a fag! Bear in Mind I had no appetite all day, only been drinking water since Monday (the Attack day) and hadn't smoked a ciggy in nearly 2 days (smoked 4 all together in 6 days) usually on 10 a day! Then had to cut the night short due to lack crowd sitting behind me p*ssed out there brains sadly! But if it wernt for them I reckon I could stayed a while longer & last night when I get home I had the best nights sleep in 6 days. I hope this helps!

• Posted

simple answer is NO not if you are on medication if you are not on medication then no probs 
  • Posted

No I'm not on medication guys, just constantly worry & palpitations last 4 days & I'm finding it difficult to relax

• Posted

Hi Gary that's good if things are getting to you mate go and see your GP don't wait till you need medication I found out to my cost myself from constantly worrying about things that in the end it gets the best of you that's why I'm on sertraline now prevention is better than a cure

take care    

• Posted

Cheers Ste I've got my appointment on Monday mate, I hope something can get sorted as I'm pulling my hair out buddy!

• Posted

let us know how you get on mate ..I would have pulled my hair out if I had any lol . 
    • Posted

How have you found Sertraline LFCste?

I was on Fluxoteine but stopped it after 4 weeks due to the horrible side effects rolleyes

My doctor wants to start on Sertraline but I am not convinced now..

• Posted

Hi I would say they are a very good now you do get side effects and it does take same time to fully effective in your system 6 to 8 weeks or until you get the correct dose that will work for you BUT they do work very well but you do have to look at the bigger picture so for me the benefits well away the side effects and to be honest I don't think I would have had as much side effects if I wasn't put on high cholesterol tablets that I really didn't need to but that's a long story. so to cap it off my advice would be to try them you have nothing to lose but everything to gain hope this helps       

• Posted

I think it's okay to have a drink as long as you aren't on any medication that alcohol could effect. I think you just have to be careful that alcohol doesn't become the only thing that calms you. Everyone gets stressed and needs a drink from time to time, it just can't become a vice. I saw you're going to the doctors which is a great and brave first step. I wish you well!

• Posted

I got in touch with the doctors straight away but they said it isn't a emergency, so at too wait till Monday! But no I'm not on any medication at the moment. But thank you for you kind words.

Gary

• Posted

Personally for me, drinking is fine but hangovers are PURE HELL. Hangovers cause a feeling of anxiety for a person without a disorder, so for me it just makes it even worse. I personally gave up drinking altogether around 4 months ago, it's not worth it. I can't tell you not to, it depends on how it's affected you previously. It may well allievate a lot of symptoms and be fine, id go if I were you but just don't overdo it.

• Posted

Thank you howll, I dont intend to go mad buddy. I'm just worried my anxiety would increase. Well done on giving up 4 months ago!

Gary.

• Posted

You have one or two and dont  go overboard. It feels good to get out and hang out woth people sometimes. Change of scenery. You have to live your life around all this too sometimes. You noted you do not use meds so its all fine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.