Is it ok to have a few drinks on Prozac? Can anyone share their experiences with this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi friends!

I am starting 10mg of prozac on Monday after having an unsuccessful trial with Lexapro. I'm not planning to drink the first few weeks I'm on it, but once my body adjusts, I'd still like to be able to have a few drinks with my friends. I'm 28 years old and a big part of my social life is meeting up for dinners, brunches, etc. where everyone is hanging out and having a few adult beverages. For context, I'm pretty small and usually never have more than 2 drinks (3 at the absolute max).

Can anyone please share their experiences having occasional drinks on prozac? and try not to scare me lol 😃

Thank you so much!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I would say totally fine! I'm on 20 mgs & drink every Friday nightIf anything, it helps me to sleep. Lol

• Posted

Hi Barbara - thanks for sharing! I'm hoping that's the case for me as well 😃 Hope all is well! xx

• Posted

Hello 😃

Ive been on fluoxetine 20mgs for just over a year & i had alcohol from the start, I'm a social drinker a couple of nights a week! I personally have had no side effects at all. Try your best to do what youd normally do, thats my advice. Fluoxetine has changed my whole life!

• Posted

Hi Samantha! Thanks for sharing.. that really reassuring to hear and I'm so glad that the fluoxetine has made a positive impact on your life! xx

• Posted

@samantha_26616 Hi Samantha! I actually have a follow up question for you - when you say you had alcohol from the start, do you mean within the first week? I just started a few days ago, but I have a wedding this Saturday and wondering if I can have some wine or if it's still too soon. I can't imagine it being a big deal if I take it slow, but I'm curious how long you waited when you first started. Thanks!!

• Posted

I have been on 20mg of prozac for 12 months now, I have a drink most weekends, what I have noticed is I can only drink about 4 halves of lager or maybe 4 vodkas then I have had more than enough...which to be fair is a good thing

• Posted

Hi Rachel! Thanks for sharing! I've heard it can lower your tolerance as well so I'll have to be careful. Hope everything continues to go well with you! xx

• Posted

I went out to an event a couple of days after and had a few drinks. It didnt impact on me at all but not sure how it would affect others. I just wanted to get back to normality. x

• Posted

Ok good to know! I agree with living my life as I normally would and making any adjustments if needed 😃 Thanks girl!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.