Is it ok to have Bisoprolol in the morning (2.5) and Atenolol in the evening (25)?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I find the effects of 5mg of Bisoprolol in the morning almost instantaneous, and within an hour I get a 45 bpm HR. But, I also feel very tired.

But by 6pm, the palps come back, but I daren't take any more Bisoprolol, It would knock me out.   Would it be safe, do you think, to take 2.5 mgs of Bisoprolol in the morning and then just 25mgs of Atenolol at 6 or 7 pm?  So then I could at least stay awake to watch TV!  (As there's little else I can do-if you know what I mean, these tablets affect me 'down there'wink.

I'm male, 55.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Can you spilt your 5mg of bisoprolol into 2.5 morning and the other 2.5 at night? I did this as I found my palpitations would kick in, in the evening if I just took it all first thing.
    • Posted

Thanks Sian, yes, may give this a go.  It just that Atenolol doesnt cause drowsiness. Maybe if I took the first 2.5 bis at 10 and the next at 9pm, it would encourage sleep.

But my poor wife.....

• Posted

Lol I share your pain but I do find 2.5 doesn't make me as tired, it may take a few days before you feel the difference

• Posted

Beta blockers should be usually taken in the morning since they slow down our heart and give us a protection during the day, when a heart in general pumps faster and there is a higher chance to get an arrhythmia.

Our natural Heart rate is slower at evening and the slowest in the night while we sleep. (For example, something like 70 at noon, 60 at evening and 40-50 while sleeping at night).

Now, the point of BBs is to get a protection when your natural Heart rate is at it's highest (during the day).

During the night, our HR drops a lot, and if you take too many drugs at evening, there is a slight chance that your heart will start to beat too slow during the night and that can cause pauses and a heart attack also.

In majority of people HR won't go too low.

But in people who already have a lower natural HR during the night, Beta blockers can be dangerous.

Also, in your case, you said that Beta blockers hit you hard right away after you take the dose.

Now, if you take them too late in the evening, there is a chance for these problems which I have explained above.

The best thing would be to talk to your doc about your side effects and ask him to give you a different dose which will suit you better. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Bob, 

yes, I think you're right, the BB at night may make it go dangerously low in sleep 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.