Is it ok to take Citalopram and Kalms night?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi was wanting a bit of advice.

Am having really lots of trouble sleeping, I get off ok and then wake with lots of anxiety buzzing through my system.

Has anyone taken kalms night and citalopram together and noticed that it helps or does it make things worse? I really need to get some sleep!

Plus am on week 5 of the citalopram and not feeling great yet! Most people on here say it could take 6-8 weeks before I feel any better, then I've read some people say the have felt better after 3 weeks.

The sleep is a problem though-so kalms night any good with the Citalopram? xx

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I also meant to say I leave the teabag(s) in but that's just my preference cos I think it will make me sleep better LOL.

Can I ask you something about when you were on CIT for a few years? I've been reading the thread about the people who want to come off it and a few say they have no feelings now. Is that something you experienced the last time? It's making me a bit apprehensive just now (week 8) & I lay awake last night thinking about the repercussions of that rolleyes

Loulyn x

• Posted

Hi Loulyn,

Sure fine to ask-happy to help!

I was first on it about 18 months ago and was on it for about 2 to 3 years but came off it as I felt I didnt need it as my life seemed to have changed considerably for the better. No I had feelings during and after as normal with the Citalopram it just took the edge off the anxiety for me to live! Thats why now I wish I stayed on it!! A friend of mine has been on it for 8years and feels she cant live without it. Its not addictive and my GP says you can stay on it for yeaars and years. I think there is alot of unneeded stigma attached to it but if it helps to keep you on a even keel i am happy to stay on it for as long as I need it and beyond.

Hope this helps!!

Is the Pukka tea you mentioned called Night Time? Looked today and that was the only 1 I could see!

Hope the citalopram helps you!

Take care

Charlotte x

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for that, it's eased my mind a bit. I used to cry a lot before cit, especially if I was trying to talk about something that I felt even remotely upset about. I don't think I've cried since taking it though which made me wonder if there might be something in what people were saying about losing feelings.

I hope you're feeling a bit better today? I've taken a backward step I think. I'm putting it down to increasing from 10 to 20 two weeks ago. I felt great up until 3 days ago & it's harder to take after feeling so good 😟

Yeah, the tea is called Night Time 😉 There's also Dr Stuarts Valerian tea & Sleepytime Extra. They all have different tastes, I like to try everything LOL There are others too but the names escape me at the mo 😏

Take care honey,

Love Loulyn x

• Posted

Hi Loulyn,

Yeah I know what you mean with the upping of Citalopram, I didnt notice much from 10mg to 20mg and have been yo yo ing the last few weeks and am thinking of going to my GP to ask to up it to 30mg as I can't stand all this anxiety, Just want to get on with my life but there are SO MANY changes ahead I can't deal with them until I feel more in control with myself.

Sorry to hear that your not good at the moment, its so hard like you say to take as I felt I was starting to feel a whole lot better.

The last few days have been unbearable, almost like day 1 of my anxiety returning for the second time.

Yes I bought the Pukka tea and Clipper on as well will give them a try tonight.

Hope the Citalopram helps yo and you start to feel the benifits soon! I haven't lost my feelings and have cried recently so am sure you will too when you need to,for me the Citalopram hasn't stopped this or my emotions.

Take care

Charlotte xx

• Posted

Thanks Charlotte,

I hope you like the tea and get a good nights sleep tonight wink

Loulyn x

• Posted

Thanks Loulyn

I hope you have a better day tomorrow and have more good days than bad! keep in touch.

Charlotte x

• Posted

Hi Loulyn,

How have you been today?

Tried the tea but it didnt keep me asleep for long. Will try it again tonight though.

My day has been pretty rough today-like you I think I am taking a backward step, I am finding it all really tough at the moment too like you and its so frustrating. Coming on here is a bit of a life line for me, does it help you?

Keep in touch as chatting about it helps as it make you feel you are not alone.

Charlotte x

• Posted

Hi Cahrlotte, hope your feeling better. My daughter (she is 18) was put on 10mg cItaloprwam 3 months ago, no side effects and they helped but not a great deal, so GP upped the dosage to 20mg 4.5 weeks ago. She is in a state! anxiety & depression really bad, cant sleep, vivid dreams, sore mouth & swollen tongue. Is seeing GP tomorrow & going to ask for medication to be changed, but I feel that if she just hangs in there for a few more weeks it might help, and hoping the GP suggests carrying on fora bit too! I guess you at about the same 4/5 week point as she is, so Will floow your post & see if you improve, and let you know if she does
    • Posted

Hi there,

Hummfter having a week of feeling as  things were starting to return to being bearable, this last week has been horrible, back to day 1 almost with the anxiety and symtoms etc. Am at my wits end thinking I should go back to the GP and ask it to be upped to 30mg as I cant continue lkie this, its no way to live a life and I so want to enjoy my life. Have so much to gain and not alot to lose but just need the confidence to do so.

Am sure your daughter will soon improve on the upped dose as when I was on it a few years ago it really helped me. I came off it 18/19 months ago as felt I didnt need it. I now really regret coming off it now as am back to square 1, took me 2 years of being on it to get to a better place.

Good luck with your daughters citalopram journey!

Take care and keep in touch

Charlotte x

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, I find Kalms very helpful. Obviously I am no medic but You are on a low dose of citalopram I think you might find it may help, I certainly don't think it would do any harm
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte,

Firstly it's good that your hanging in there. I know its hard to believe but you have done really well to keep with it which is really positive. I'm still not out of the woods myself after a relapse 6 weeks ago, but my sleep and appetite have returned,         although blighted by a sinus infection! You need some routine, do you work? Exercise? For sleep, I take night nurse. This may be in some people's view a no no, but it works for me, and doesn't cause any side effects. 

• Posted

Hi aj

Ahh thanks for your positive words, it really helps to come on this forum to get advice etc.

Yes routine is important, I do work and find it a real struggle at the moment as thats some of the cause of my anxiety.

I am struggling to keep up my exercise which before this bout of anxiety which hit me like a steam train was almost a dayily part of my life and routine. Saying that am fighting against it and doing a little bit so something is better than nothing!

Thanks for the night nurse advice will keep that in mind, have tried Clipper Sleep Easy tea at night which am not sure is helping but maybe it is?

I have also started some mindfulness, bought a book which comes with a CD to help with the meditation, am willing to try it to help me return back to me again!

Charlotte

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.