Is it okay to sit this way...?

Posted , 6 users are following.

It's been a long time since I posted anything on this forum. After waiting for 3 years and having my first THR last Friday, the surgeon has agreed that if all goes well in the next 6 weeks, he'll add me on the waiting list to have the other side done.

It's been such a long wait with the surgery being delayed on 4 occasions, that I really cannot afford for anything to go wrong.

When lying flat in my bed, is it okay to bend my legs so that my knees are pointing upwards towards the ceiling? I'll obviously ensure that the bend is greater 90 degrees.

I had my PIP claim approved too, so am happy to share details on how I achieved that. I'm hoping to take bilateral hip replacement off my list of "50 things to do before I turn 50 next year 😛 😃

Any friendly advice or comments would be gratefully receive.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi mightymilo, it's really good to know that you have finally had your first THR and will be added to the list for the other hip.

I had my right THR on 18th February and am due to have the left one done on 27 May.

Everything went well and I am making progress and yes, I do lie with my legs bent and haven't had any problems from that. I assume that you meant the bend to be less than 90 degrees.

I have found during the last 10 weeks of recovery that my body and hips "tell" me what I can and cannot do. Early on I forgot on a couple of occasions and bent down to pick something off the floor but I survived that with no ill effects.

THR is such a successful operation and I believe that 95% have no problems afterwards so the odds are very much in our favour!

Best wishes for your recovery.

• Posted

One of the many exercises I was given by the physios after my right THR was to lie flat on my back on the bed, then bend my knees upwards as you describe. Then drop the knees outwards (both together). Move knees outwards and back several times. I recently saw this exercise being described as good for the pelvic floor muscles (for both men and women). I still do my exercises about once a week 2 years later - I do that one about 40 times now (I think it was 5 times originally - I gradually increased when I felt I could). The surgeon said at my 12-month check to start holding the extreme positions on the exercises for 5 seconds, which I now do. So I'm sure it's an OK thing that you are doing.

Joan

• Posted

Hi Cherry,

Thank you so much for the information. It makes sense and has really helped me. I do have another question which I'm hoping you could give me any advice on. After surgery, my surgeon told me that he had made the right side slightly longer than the lest side, but that I shouldn't worry because he'd sort it out when he does the other side. I accepted that and that was the end. Today though, which is the first day I took a few steps without my crutches, I can really feel a big difference in the length of my legs. It also feels when I put all my weight on the right side to move the left foot forward, that the hip is going to snap where the replacement was done. Is that normal? I'm really concerned. Look forward to any advice you might be able to offer me. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi mightyMilo

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry - I don't have much knowledge about the difficulties that you mention. I did think that my operated leg was different in length to the other particularly for the first 8 weeks or so. But I don't think so now and it's possible that it was caused by the swelling in the knee.

I would be inclined to trust your surgeon that he will be able to sort this out for you when he does the op for the other hip.

I am not sure how long ago it is since your recent op and I don't know where you are up to with the physio exercises etc. Which side was your THR? I am assuming that it was your left?

It seems early days for you to be managing without your crutches particularly as your body seems to be telling you not to put all your weight on the right side. So if I were you I wouldn't do it yet. Your non-operated hip needs replacing too,as you say, and it won't take kindly to bearing all the weight.

I guess you are very impatient to be making progress and all the posts here seem to emphasise that progress can be very slow at first. It's 12 weeks now since my op and I am noticing the difference in my operated hip; it's still painful at times but considerably better. My non-operated one is much worse since it's been taking all the strain and I will be glad to get it done. The physio understood this problem and told me to take great care with the exercises so that the non-operated hip would bear up until the op.

Take care and best wishes

• Posted

Hi Cherry, and thank you again for your message of support.

I guess I am a little over enthusiastic because the right side hip replacement was only done 13 days ago 😛 The right side was a lot worse than the left side and so they did the worse side first. My house is spread over 3 levels and I've had to walk up or down 26 stairs to get from my bedroom to my kitchen and visa versa.

I've decided to put my faith in my surgeon and use the crutches until he tells me otherwise. I have only been given 6 exercises to do so far and I'm doing them much easier than the first day I was shown how to do them. A nurse is coming to my home tomorrow to remove the staples. I can say already that the horrible daily pain I was experiencing has completely gone and all that remains is the pain from the surgery which I'm managing well enough. If I look at the bigger picture, I haven't really factored in the leg and knee swelling either.

Do you have any idea when you'll be able to have the other side operated on? I think once that has been done for you, only then will you truly benefit from the whole process and it is certainly a good idea to look after the unoperated side until then.

Looking forward to hearing from you again and best of luck with your ongoing recovery.

• Posted

Hi mightymilo, you are welcome and thank you for your support.

13 days - good gracious! 26 stairs alone seem more than sufficient particularly as you will be having to use the non-operated side all the time. It's great that the horrible pain has gone. On the topic of leg length, today I went to the local dress shop and tried on a pair of trousers suitable for post op in front of a large full length mirror. My legs are definitely not the same length and the trouser on the operated side looked shorter. I guess that means that my operated leg is longer? My knees definitely don't 'match'! It doesn't seem to cause any difficulty though and I will mention it to the surgeon.

My op for the left hip is on the 27th of this month, so I haven't got long to wait. I agree that then I should begin to feel the full benefit.

• Posted

Good to hear you've had surgery i'm three weeks after lthr and 19 months after rthr . that movement has been fine for me and helps to mobilise the bad leg . my (non professional) understanding is that the 90 degree rule is between thigh and trunk not the knee. but to acute a knee angle would probably not be too clever while supine. i have been able to get a very good quad stretch while prone from about a week its the same movement but no weight - and of course you need to get onto your stomach which requires upper body and core strength. finally i would not have gone for second thr six weeks after first. 18 months gave me good time to build up strength and fitness. but my second hip was not so bad a year ago. it deteriorated fast after that

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information Andrew. I wish you the best and hope everything works out well for you! I do have another question which I'm hoping you could give me any advice on. After surgery, my surgeon told me that he had made the right side slightly longer than the lest side, but that I shouldn't worry because he'd sort it out when he does the other side. I accepted that and that was the end. Today though, which is the first day I took a few steps without my crutches, I can really feel a big difference in the length of my legs. It also feels when I put all my weight on the right side to move the left foot forward, that the hip is going to snap where the replacement was done. Is that normal? I'm really concerned. Look forward to any advice you might be able to offer me. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi, it should be fine to bend your leg as long as you are laying flat and can gauge the degree in which you are bending. be careful though as your range of motion will be limited, don't force it . take care!

• Posted

Thank you for your advice Thea. It feels like I'm doing the right thing, so I'll keep doing it until I can speak to my doctor tomorrow 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.