is it or isn't it COPD

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking antihistamines for 2yrs since i gave up smoking i was constantly sneezing and and had a runny nose so my gp put it down to allergies i noticed when i went to the gym and swam my breathing did not appear to improve i began having problems with swallowing and general tiredness constantly having a feeling as if something was stuck in my throat then i got an irritating cough and started coughing phlegm up i would cough so hard because it felt like i was going to choke on it and the would get on rattle and wheezing whenever i inhaled or exhaled when i get this spasms i have bruised my legs where i have leant on them to lean forward to get it up i consyantly urinate myself as i cough so hard

any simple exertion makes me breathless i am taking seretide and spiriva inhalers besides the salamol i am awaiting to attend my first appt at the chest clinic when i had my spirometry it was stopped as i got pins and needles in my chest and the reading showed had early indications of COPD my chest xray showed Increased interstitial and vascular markings when i asked the locum dr what this meant he said he didn't know ....so i have no clue what is the matter with me except i am finding things difficult to do but at least i manaed to walk half a mile today even though i had to keep sitting down

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kwazzy,

Sounds as though you have really been struggling and, quite honestly, that your GP has too. I think the most important part of your post is the bit that states you are going to the chest clinic. Hopefully, here they will be able to interpret your chest xrays, look at you medications, etc. The positive is that you are still managing to walk so far, well done you!! I hope they get you sorted out soon.

Good luck

Jacee

• Posted

Hi Jacee !

Thank you for your reply to my posting gave me some comfort ....

symptoms however became more intense over the weekend and on tuesday 2nd august i was getting ready for work when i could not cope with the pains in my back thought either i had pulled a muscle or broke a rib from coughing . either one so easily done when coughing with force

so i called paramedics as i didn't think i was in a good place first time ever i have had to call paramedics out for myself .... the crew thought i had done either one as well but decided to take me because of my wheezing to A&E at the local hospital after waiting nearly 3 hrs had an xray when the doc called me in to get the results he said this is the one you had 7 weeks ago all clear for a few little marks and then he said and this one is this mornings as you can see the lower part of the ling has an infection and the upper is a mass !!!!!!!

he said if you put your thumb to your next finger and make a circle thats how big it is i would like you to come back to have a cat scan i said ok but then he said no we are going to do it now which i did have and was sent round to an assessment ward the pain was so intense

they had been giving me codeine all day at the A&e DEPT

2hrs later he came and and told me the results were not good and they would need to do biopsies he also put me straight on to morphine to assist with the pain

i am now home my outpatient appt has now been moved to next thursday i am heavily medicated with pain killers not able to get out or drive the car and have been told its cancer and its not looking good

good job i decided to call the paramedics instead of waiting a month for my appt and i cannot fault the dr i saw he was considerate compassionate and caring and had the loveliest brown eyes ever ( whoops must of been the tablets that made me say that hahahah !!)

so now we know it isn't COPD

kwazzy xxx

so just a word to others if in doubt don't doubt call someone !!!!!!!

get help don't make yourself suffer

• Posted

Oh Kwazzy, what can I say? I am so sorry you have received this awful news. It proves again and again that we are naive to trust GPs and really need to push and push both for accurate diagnoses and for correct treatment. You sound like a strong person and I hope this stands you in good stead. I will be thinking about you. All best wishes

Jacee

xx

• Posted

Dear Kwazzy,

I am so sorry to have missed your post until now - I do hope you will come back and 'visit' us from time to time, even if you do not have COPD we will be concerned to hear how you are doing. I also hope that by now you may have come across the British Lung Foundation - if not, then do google them, get their number and give them a call. They have trained advisors who you can talk to if you are worried, confused etc and will call you back to chat with you and point you in the right direction for more info etc. Also they are concerned with ALL types of lung disease, so whatever your problem turns out to be ,they can help. Hope this has been of some use to you, in the meantime, I send you my love and best wishes and will keep you in my thoughts on Thursday when you have outpatients. Vanessa x

• Posted

Thinking of you today Kwazzy and hoping your appointment goes as well as possible. With lots of love, Vanessa xx
  • Posted

Hi,

Thinking about you Kwazzy. Good Luck for today.

Love

Jacee

xx

:goodluck:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.