Is it painful to travel with a broken leg?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 9-year-old grandson broke his leg yesterday in a bicycle accident It is broken in 2 places. He told his dad that it hurts to ride in the car (probably to and from emergency). We have plans to attend a wedding with them in two weeks. It is about a 3.5 or 4 hour drive for my grandson. Will he be able to make the trip? It will be 2 weeks and 3 days from the day he broke his leg until we need to leave. Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

oh no!!  poor fella!!! Gosh, this is a question for the boy's physician.  So many variables.

• Posted

Maybe maybe not, it will all depend on how bad the breaks are, whether there hairline fractures or because he's young green stick, did they operate or just a cast, you need to wait and see, also its how he will travel, laying down or sitting up.

No one can say really other than his ortho but he might not know either till nearer, if its a case of being unsure don't do it

• Posted

How's he doing?

• Posted

He is 9 and says it is still hurting him. Getting itchy now, also. I think he's milking it for all it's worth. won't even try the crutches. We are planning to go for the trip. He takes tylenol 3 at night only.

• Posted

How is he getting around without the crutches?  Does he have a walking plug on the bottom of the cast?  Hope you aren't carrying him around?  If he's walking around without the "sticks," his discomfort/pain can be attributed to his (early) Independence.  He's only one full week away from the injury...Hope it goes well for him and the family!! Hope the trip goes well!

• Posted

We don't live near him and his parents are divorced. His mom rented a wheelchair and yes, my son was carrying him as he didn't bring the crutches. Like I said, I think he's milking it for all it's worth. rolleyes

• Posted

Oh geez. Doesn't sound good on a couple of levels. Hope it turns out favorable!

• Posted

I would suggest that you or his Mum take him back to his GP, he needs to ambulate or he will lose muscle mass really quickly and then he will struggle to walk end of, I know I have muscle atrophy due to lack of use and I'm finding it really hard to get back on track.

Maybe tough love is needed cause he sounds like he is milking it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.